TWH Orientation Aug 20th

Shiloh25
on 7/31/14 12:19 am - Kitchener, Canada

Is anyone else going to this orientation at 4pm that day? Or has anyone already gone through orienation at this hospital? Just looking for tips on what to expect. I've been eating healthy and changing my mindset since May and slowly have been losing weight. I'm just really excited to get this journey started!!

Thanks Tina

Referral sent- May 14/14 Referral received- June 3/14 Orientation at Toronto Western - Aug 20/14 Social Worker Appt - Sept 29/14 Nurse Practitioner Appt - Nov 25/14, Nutrition Class Dec 9/14, Dietician Dec 16/14, Nurse Follow up Dec 17/14, Psychiatrist - Dec 18/214, Surgeon - Feb 13/15 Surgery - Apr 7/15

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/14 5:56 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Tina,

They will just go over the surgery in detail on a slide show presentation. Side effects, what to expect, what you'll have to do to be approved (smoke free, get the OK from the nurse / psych / SW surgeon ect) They'll give you a three day food log, a medications list, a psych eval, and one next of kin / doctors contact info sheet ect,  that you will have to fill out and bring to your first appointment. You will get a print out of your next appointment dates for the SW and nurse at the end of the orientation. Based on what I have seen, It moves pretty quickly after orientation, depending on if you have co morbs and take medications for weight related issues (sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure ect - From what I have seen, those who do not have the co morbs, and are just obese, move through at a quicker rate, because they don't require that additional testing.

What I have been doing since orientation is, out out carbonated drinks, chewing my food very slowly, more small meals throughout my day,  stopped using straws, not drinking with my meals, and trying to make overall better food choices.

Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Referral sent- April 9th/14 Orientation TWH- June 25th/14  Social Worker- July 9th/14  Nurse Practitioner- July 30th/14 Psychology Assessment- August 1st/ 14  Nutrition Class- August 25th/14  Nutrition Assessment- Sept 15th/ 2014  Meet Surgeon - TBA Surgery Date -TBA

Cartysmom
on 8/1/14 12:04 am - Canada

Hello,

Ill be there same day for my one month post surgery follow up:) yay! The orientation is packed full of useful info! They also give you your next appointment dates and you will start ro realize that this is really happening now!! Food lick on your journey and maybe Ill see you in the halls!:) Katherine

Cartysmom
on 8/1/14 12:05 am - Canada

Good luck not food lick!!! Lol

Kate M.
on 8/1/14 2:12 am - toronto, Canada

I will also be attending this orientation. I have already attended it once last year but then had to put a halt in the process to quit smoking (which took a few tries!). Since it was over a year since my initial referral date I had to start the process all over again. I'm glad to do it again though because this time my partner will be able to attend with me, and I think the information is very valuable stuff for both of us to have reinforced.

mum2TNT
on 8/1/14 2:18 am - Oshawa, Canada

I was also a smoker.....for many years and quit many times over those years.  I quit April 21 this year, was referred to the registry on May 29 and haven't heard a thing since :(  I was wondering if it had to do with the smoking that I haven't heard anything yet.  I read on the TWH site that to be considered you have to be smoke free for 6 months and it has only been 3 for me.  Anyhow good luck to you in your journey :)

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Karen M.
on 8/1/14 3:09 am - Mississauga, Canada

That has to be the BEST auto-correct I have ever seen on weight loss forum. Ever.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics