Living across the pond and totally different bariatric program

MissGlitter
on 7/31/14 10:38 am - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

I moved to the Netherlands last year and have hooked up with the bariatric clinic here recently.  Good news, I'm under goal.  Bad news, they want me to eat more calories than I am used to.  I hover around 1250-1550 a day now that I am at goal but the physician I saw said that was far too low and I should be consuming at least 1900-2100 calories or I would continue to lose weight - which neither of us want.
I had a look through some of the 'what are you eating' threads to see what other post ops are eating and was gobsmacked to see some of the calorie counts compared to mine.  It seems like I already eat way too much but then this doc really seems to know his stuff and it does make sense that if I continue to take in less than I burn off in a day that I will continue to lose weight.  
What is the maintenance caloric intake  - ballpark figure given by any of the centres in Ontario?  I thought it was around 1600 for some reason.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Karen M.
on 7/31/14 10:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

At 8 years post-op and at goal for many years, I eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories per day to maintain (mostly closer to 1400 many days). My weight is steady at 120 pounds. What they are suggesting sounds like a lot of food to me, but each person is different in what it takes them to maintain. Calories aren't really what I count, never did. I still eat at least 80g protein per day and keep my carbs pretty darn low.

You may have to try different intakes for a while and see what works for you.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/31/14 1:27 pm

The range you've been given seems right if you are maintaining at 190 lbs according to your ticker.  Your metabolic rate and weight determine how many calories you need to maintain.  There are some decent online calculators that will give you an idea based on your height, weight, gender, and activity level.  There is no one calorie count for everyone.  Here is a link to a calculator, you can find others online too http://www.thinandhealthyforever.com/CalorieRequirement.asp

kellybelly333
on 8/1/14 12:50 am - Toronto, Canada

That calculator has me eating over 2,200 calories a day to maintain. If I ate that, I would gain. I know this, because I can gain at 1,500. Everyone is different, and that calculator doesn't quite work for RNYers. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 8/1/14 3:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

That calculator put me at 1850 to maintain. Not a chance.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Delicious_Delilah
on 7/31/14 1:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I think everyone is different. Depends on your activity level too.  You could slowly start adding calories, then see where your weight loss evens out. 

For me, when I'm active in the gym, running and/or kickboxing, it seems to be somewhere between 1800 and 2000 calories.  My weight stays stable and I have an appetite for that many calories.  I do watch it carefully however, so I can catch any shifts early on.

Because i'm on hiatus from working out at the moment, I'm taking in closer to 1400 calories.  My appetite is, I'm happy to say, mirroring my activity level. And my weight seems stable (though I'm down slightly), though could be due to a recent stint in the hospital.  

Good luck figuring it out!

DD

birdiegirl
on 7/31/14 7:49 pm

You will see in my sig line that I am trying to lose regain....so my calories will run from roughly 1000 to 1200 per day.....maintenance for me is in the 1500 - 1800 range depending on my activity level

everyone is different...ages...activity etc etc......I sure wouldn't jump to the calories suggested until you add back slowly to find your sweet spot......too damn tough to lose post 3 years or so...

Also,,,,you are not even 2 years out....you are likely still malabsorbing so you may be able to eat more right now....and have to scale back in year 3.....and if it were me....I would try to get under goal in preparation for some bounce back.....( not everyone has bounce back...but many do)....

MissGlitter
on 7/31/14 9:04 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

As it is I am 12 pounds under goal, 178.  For some reason my ticker won't change to reflect that :/  I will be having skin removal surgery in the late spring next year, the estimate was a loss of another 10-14 pounds from that.  REALLY do not want to go lower than that.
I have added an additional 200 cals to my meal plan for today for a total of 1750ish.  Lets see where that gets me.  I don't weigh again until next week, will update then.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

MissGlitter
on 9/4/14 10:42 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

Hmm I'm a little late updating but here are the results of my 1750 cals/day meal plan - I lost another 1.5 pounds this month.  We are now going to try 1875 ish and the dietician is firm that this amount should be sufficient to keep my weight stable.  They really don't believe in staying below 1500 cals/day at this clinic and it makes sense but my head is still adjusting to 'normal' caloric levels. 

Most Active
Recent Topics