Self Pay in Ontario?

ruthanngood52
on 8/28/14 5:52 am - Amherst, Canada

Hello Is there any self pay clinics in Ontario? I've been on the wait list 5 years here in NS and have a 5 more years to wait. I'm thinking of going to Mexico but would rather have it done in Canada

Linsie
on 8/28/14 5:57 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Wow, that's quite the wait!!! In my opinion...don't EVER go to Mexico, especially for surgery! But I definitely get your frustration. I don't know about self pay clinics - but would NS pay for you to go to another province to have it done? What about people who don't have OHIP, they could pay and have it done right? I actually don't know - but I'd think you could probably go anywhere and just pay, but again, I have no idea.

Karen M.
on 8/28/14 7:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am not looking to start anything, trust me. But there are some exceptionally talented surgeons in Mexico, who operate out of very clean, reputable hospitals. I have good friends who went that route with no issues at all.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

libra1
on 8/28/14 6:32 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

If you search (little magnifying glass at top of page) "self pay in Ontario" or "self pay in Canada" many responses come up.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/14 6:34 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The only surgery available for self pay in Ontario is lap-band.  Since all the others are covered by OHIP they do not allow self pay.  Quebec has a lot of self pay clinics in Montreal where you can have any of the procedures done.  Not sure which procedure you are looking at but Dr. Christou and Dr. Gagner are both well known surgeons in Montreal and a few from Ontario have gone to them for self pay.

DarleneTay
on 8/29/14 3:54 am

There is a Lap Band Dr in Toronto that is now doing the sleeve.  http://www.obesitysurgery.ca/   I don't know anything more regarding the sleeve and it works with the clinic.  Their website should be helpful though.f you would like any further information I can try to help.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/14 4:37 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

That is my lap-band surgeon and I get their newsletter.  He just recently started offering VSG but he has clinics in 4 provinces so my guess is that he is doing them in one of his other private clinics in other provinces since it's not allowed in Ontario.  He is a great surgeon though.

Karen M.
on 8/29/14 5:10 am - Mississauga, Canada

I emailed them to inquire about self-pay for gastric sleeve - the cost is $18,500 and according to the program manager that I emailed back and forth with, VSG IS performed at their Don Mills location. Who knew?!

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/14 5:51 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Don Mills?  That must be the 3rd location in Ontario now, they have grown a lot. Last newsletter I got a month ago, only showed 2 locations in Ontario and 3 in other provinces. Wonder how they are getting around doing it in Ontario since we don't have a two tiered system here.  Interesting that is for sure.

Karen M.
on 8/29/14 7:44 am, edited 8/29/14 7:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

That's what she said, Don Mills clinic. I have no idea how they're doing that. I think I'll send one more email confirming self-pay at Don Mills. I have to say, she was REAL quick to say "no problem!".

Edited to add: I sent a very explicitly worded email to confirm.  

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics