Working out- Abs?

redviking
on 9/19/14 12:34 am, edited 9/19/14 1:13 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I started a weights/circuit class this week and in the back of my mind I keep thinking that there is some restriction around ab exercises but for the life of me, I can't find anything in the literature I have from Guelph.  I have a call in to Audrey, but I'm wondering what you guys did for exercise around the 2 month point.  

The class felt great and I know it's appropriate for me on the whole, but obviously I don't want to hurt myself.  I should say that it was 5 women, all beginners working with a very skilled trainer so we each worked to our own limits with quite a bit of supervision and coaching.  And the trainer knows my situation. 

UPDATE:  Got the green light from Audrey! YAY!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

NorthernStar
on 9/19/14 12:38 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I was given a very conservative guide to exercise from HRRH. They advised no abdominal exercise for the first 6 months. My surgeon totally cleared me for all exercise at 5 weeks, so I never paid much attention to the guidelines I was given. I will add that I didn't try an ab workout until about 2 months out. The next day I had some DOMS in my abs and it was very uncomfortable. It freaked me out so I did not repeat those exercises for quite some time.

Listen to your body and only do what feels good. I cannot see a reason to avoid abdominal work, especially when core strength is so important for almost all other exercise you will do.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active
Recent Topics