shopping list...

mellabella115
on 9/25/14 5:16 am - North York, Canada

Hi all 

I am heading to Niagara falls NY this weekend and i usually just go to the regular shops...Wal-Mart, Walgreens etc....but im heading to the vitamin shoppe to check out that syntrax nectar protein powder...just wondering what else for post op is recommended to get on the other side of the border? Ive read about a chewable multivitamin that you can get from walmart US ....does anyone get there stuff there....if so please let me know.

Also that chike drink i read about where can that be bought?

Thanks for the input all suggestions welcome :) 

Karen M.
on 9/25/14 5:18 am, edited 9/25/14 5:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

No to the Chike - you could call the company and ask, but I have not heard of it being in stores in NY.

Edited to add: If I were going to the States, I would be buying strawberry Premier Protein shakes, as they're not available here and when I tried one, it was delicious (to me)!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mellabella115
on 9/25/14 5:43 am - North York, Canada

Ok thanks Karen. ..  :)

redviking
on 9/25/14 10:09 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Check out a Wegmans if you have a chance.  They have big "healthy food" sections with lots of different stuff that we don't have here.  I haven't been to the States since my surgery but my sister used to live in NY and we loved going to Wegmans.  

I would definitely be looking for some different yogurts.  It looks like they have some great kinds down there. 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

sabrinastrength
on 9/25/14 11:45 am - Canada
I've been to the states quite a few times recently, in both NY and Florida. I have yet to find a store that sells Syntrax, I order mine online. I don't like the nectar (you can have all my sample size bags!!) so I drink more of the actual shake kind, not the juice ones.

A word about american foods is that yes they have a lot of selection, such as amazing yogurt selections. But they are larger single size servings (ie. 150g compared to 100g in canada). And they also have more sugar in products than we are used to even if they are the 'better for you' kind.

I quite enjoy their FibreOne 80 cal chocolate cereal to eat as a snack when I'm finding I need a boost of fibre intake for the day.

Sugar free spiced apple cider packets are quite tasty - just tried one today for the first time.

Jello Pudding cheesecake mix - no sugar added. I add it to plain greek yogurt to make an actual "cheese cake". Lots of NSA jello selections.

I couldn't find the strawberry premier protein shake at Costco which I was disappointed about because I wanted to try it. Maybe next time I can find it!

Good luck!

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

mellabella115
on 9/25/14 12:42 pm - North York, Canada

Thank you for the reply....i heard good things about nectar so i thought why not also heard they sell it at the vitamin shoppe which is near the walmart i was kind of hoping they had sample sizes there but would love to buy yours from you if you are local...

I also love the yogurt from there great selection and yes yhe sizes are larger...never thought to mix the sf cheesecake jellointo yogurt. . (U mean the powder? )

And what about vitamins have you ever purchased yours from there? 

sabrinastrength
on 9/25/14 8:19 pm - Canada
Yep I mean the jello powder pudding mix. It's really sweet so don't dump the whole package into the yogurt at once. Lol I made that mistake once.

I don't buy vitamins in the US because I prefer a smaller bulk option. I buy prenatal vitamins from Costco here which lasts a few months. I order my Calcium online usually from Amazon for the bariatric advantage. Expensive but I enjoy them the chewy ones its like a dessert by themselves. I recently bought a massive bag of calcium no sugar added chocolate chewy things from Costco while I was in Florida. They are calcium carbonate though so I know it's not the best option but it was a good price.

I would be happy to just give you my sample packages and I have a full tub of the peach nectar. Send me an IM and we can chat more. I also have a Popeyes brand of juice flavour protein powder that I don't use. The juice flavours give me a headache for some reason.

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

dentedsmile
on 9/25/14 3:09 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

Be on the lookout for higher dose vitamins for instance I myself will have to make a trip down to the states to get the Vitamin D3 2000ui (I have a severe V. D deficiency) because they only sell the 1000ui here in Canada which means taking 1 pill instead of 2. Just if you need anything such as that in addition to the usual supplements.

I feel as though we should arrange car pool rides to the states just for vitamin shopping and protein powders lol.

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

Katie_May
on 9/25/14 3:21 pm

I live in Idaho (in the US, although very far from where you will be traveling), and I have found the premier protein shakes in various flavors at Costco. However, Costco requires a membership. If you will be going back regularly, it is worth it. If not, then don't get a membership. It is $55 annually. You can sometimes find the Premier Protein Bars at Wal-Mart. But I looked on the website for Premier Protein and clicked on the where to buy icon on the top right side and it gave a location for the shakes too:  The store is called BJs, it is at 800 Young Street Tonawanda (Buffalo) NY 14150. It only shows that they carry the chocolate shakes- but those are still very tasty. Good luck on your search!

Katie

lexxiblue
on 9/25/14 7:58 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

HI Katie

what other flavours of the shakes have you found at Costco. Sam's is the only place (that i've found) in Niagara that sells Vanilla, Choc and now Strawberry! costco in canada only sells chocolate on a regular basis and sometimes vanilla.. .(when they feel like it!).. strawberry hasn't arrived yet in canada. unfortunately!

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics