bariatric advantage

mellabella115
on 9/27/14 4:15 pm - North York, Canada

Hello all...so i recently bought the Centrum chewable orange flavor multivitamin from walmart in the states but now im reading on here that it doesn't have everything we need post op ...so i started reading more and read about bariatric advantage. ..does anyone on here use them? Or is there one i can get here locally that is good for us RNYers. ...please share

Patm
on 9/27/14 7:03 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I picked up the Bariatric advantage calcium. It is a little chalky but has a lot of the calcium we need. It is available from the Shoppers drug mart at TWH

Karen M.
on 9/27/14 11:04 pm - Mississauga, Canada

What do you feel your multi is missing? Check what your Centre gave you with respect to supplementation and follow that (not what someone on the forum says is right).

The ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) has published guidelines for supplementation for bariatric patients (all types - Band, VSG, RNY, DS) and I'm pretty sure they very closely match what your Centre's guidelines are.

Here is a link to the 2008 Guidelines (see Table 5): ASMBS 2008 Guidelines

Here is a link to the 2013 updated recommendations (see Table 6): ASMBS Updated Recommendations

Personally, I have had no trouble supplementing appropriately by using good quality, readily available, regular (not bariatric) vitamins here in Canada.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mellabella115
on 9/27/14 11:09 pm - North York, Canada

OK great thank you so much...do you use a chewable or liquid form?  Or just regular tablet

Karen M.
on 9/27/14 11:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I *think* you replied to me?

Anyway, I'll answer. lol

Although I am able to take any medication in whatever form it comes in (tablet, capsule, chewable, liquid), I still, 8.5 years later) take Centrum chewable multi. Everything else is in pill form (which can be hard for me as I am not a good pill swallower, hence my Greek yogurt each morning with all my meds and supplements mixed in - except the Centrum chewable of course lol).

K.

Karen

mellabella115
on 9/28/14 12:19 am - North York, Canada

Thanks Karen...are those available in canada?  Someone told me no that's why I bought them in the states...although I didn't look for myself lol

kimber291
on 9/28/14 12:23 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

What are the orange ones from the States missing? I am going tomorrow for a few days and I was going to pick some up :-(

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Karen M.
on 9/28/14 12:28 am, edited 9/28/14 12:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, available in Canada. I have heard, but haven't investigated for myself, that the American version of Centrum chewables contains more iron. I take a separate iron supplement, so it doesn't matter in my case. Also, it is contraindicated to take calcium and iron together, which you are doing when taking a multi, so the iron may be negated. Also, calcium citrate is the recommended type of calcium that we are to take as bariatric patients and many multis contain carbonate, which is pretty much useless to us.

Who knew we'd have to be scientists to figure this all out? lol

Karen

mellabella115
on 9/28/14 12:34 am - North York, Canada

Yah exactly lol...well I take a separate iron pill now I'm not sure what I'll take after depending on my labs...and I have a liquid calcium with D so that doesn't matter either so I guess I'm OK for now :) I just want to make sure I have everything prior to going in for surgery

Karen M.
on 9/28/14 12:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, definitely dependant on your labs.

Start with what your Centre recommends - it can always be adjusted after labs.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics