Second Full Marathon completed. Not quite the way I wanted.

kellybelly333
on 10/19/14 8:10 pm - Toronto, Canada

Well friends here's the good and bad. The good, I beat my personal best by about 10 minutes, the bad, I did not qualify for Boston. Not. Even. Close. I started out great with a great time at the halfway point with a negative split planned. After a 5 minute bathroom break my ankle rolled and my IT band immediately snapped (that's how it felt). I felt that I could go on. My run turned into a jog, a walk, and several stops to stretch and massage. Ross met me out in the course with Tylenol and some very encouraging words, "Remember, this is a journey, it will be there another time, it doesn't have to happen today. Just breathe. You can do this." I listened to those words the rest of my race. I also had a chat with my dad, with 3k left of the race, asking for relief, and for awhile I received it. He was watching :) I am disappointed, but still proud that I even attempted this again. I will try again in the spring. Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement. I truly, TRULY, appreciate it.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

crqvingchange
on 10/19/14 8:18 pm

I've told you this before, you are amazing.  Whether or not you qualify for Boston I am still in awe of all you have accomplished.  I'm sorry that things did not go as planned, but be proud of yourself for finishing with an injury.

TanyaLH
on 10/19/14 8:44 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

What CC said, you have accomplished so much. Be proud!!!!

Tanya

Needanewbeginning
on 10/19/14 10:36 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Kelly your amazing you really are. Congratulations, you did fantastic, not the end that you wanted, but you finished the race.

So proud of you. Your a huge inspiration to so many of us.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Catw
on 10/19/14 10:59 pm - Arnprior, Canada

So you didn't make it to Boston, Boston will still be there next year.  You injured your ankle half way through, and still finished the race, let alone still beat your personal best by 10 minutes.  You totaly have nothing to be ashamed of.  I can't even imagine starting the race let alone doing what you did.  Be very proud of yourself.

Now let your ankle heal fully before putting more stress on it.  Because next year, you will qualify, and will need it at 100%.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 10/19/14 11:39 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Kelly, huge congratulations to you on so many aspects of this - you ran, and not only did you run, you completed a marathon, and not only did you complete a marathon, but a FULL one, faster than your last and all of this despite an unexpected injury. You WON, plain and simple. You won at LIFE.

Much love (and admiration),

Karen XO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

libra1
on 10/19/14 11:45 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

What an incredible achievement!!! Your focus and perseverance are inspiring. Congratulations!!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/20/14 12:15 am

KellyBelly,

First off, congrats for successfully training for that marathon.

Congrats on FINISHING the marathon.

Congrats on logging a personal best.   The next time will likely be better.

What happened to you was just, "one of those things."  I doubt there is anything you could have done differently from a training/nutrition standpoint.

BTW you BEAT everyone who stayed home on their couch.

You also beat me (i can only jog 9 miles tops).

Rest, recover, and then perserve (sp).  Don't give up, but do make sure that you aren't terribly injured.

I look forward to hearing about you qualifying for Boston in the future

-Skinny

Who just wants to half a disney marathon...either the world or the princess.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Patm
on 10/20/14 12:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on your great achievement. I have no doubt you will eventually make it to Boston.

1HealthyMomma
on 10/20/14 12:56 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Your awesome! You did such a great job. I hope your ankle is feeling  better so you can keep on keeping on.

Take Care

Lisa 

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Most Active
Recent Topics