I was rejected - I'm devastated, but I'll be ok

katievn
on 10/21/14 12:46 am

Hello again wonderful people,

I made my first post about a month ago looking for guidance with my first appointment to request a referral for WLS. That went well. I got a call from the doctors office to finish up the forms about 10 days after that, which was a breeze. Then I waited, for what felt like a long time, to get the call from the bariatric nurse, which was another 2 and a half weeks later.

I got that call. But sadly, the call ended with me being declined surgery at this time. This was 4 days ago and the wound is still fresh, but I WILL be ok. What I didn't know, was that they required a long history of documented professional guidance with weight loss and food nutrition, as trying my ass off at home just didn't cut it. I have to meet with people for 6+ months then reapply again if I'm not satisfied with the results. Which, right now, seems impossible.

I feel burried alive in my own skin, hearing this news that I'd have to wait EVEN LONGER, felt like someone put me in a hole and started filling it over. At least that's how I felt 4 days ago. I do still feel very stuck where I'm at, I believed that WLS was my last hope at finally getting some control over my life. I'm 26 - and while some of you will say that I'm still very young and have a long life ahead of me - at the same time you know my struggle, and you know what it feels like to feel trapped in your own body, not knowing if you do actually have a long life ahead of you.

This journey of mine just got longer, and I already feel winded. There's a HUGE list of things I've wanted to accomplish years ago, things like fitting on rides at Wonderland.. or even being able to stand up for more than 5 minutes without a hot pain down my spine. To me - waiting longer just took another year off my life. Another year that I wasn't sure I even had in me.

Thanks for listening.

RYMEBE73
on 10/21/14 1:08 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

sorry to hear, but your journey hasn't ended...there must be a reason for the delay, take the time to use it to your advantage.  I started my WLS journey over 2 years ago and am going for round 2 right now.  Can I ask what centre you went through that they would refuse you over the phone?  Sounds harsh to me...

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

katievn
on 10/21/14 1:28 am

The nurse I spoke with said that she was at the Guelph Hospital. She said that it was better to do it over the phone to save me a trip into Guelph just to have to turn around again.

RYMEBE73
on 10/21/14 1:51 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

At least they were honest.  It is hard to take any type of "rejection" but in reality, look at it as a postponement?  There is quite a few requirements they look at to proceed through, and the surgery is just a tool.

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

melaniealbert_1978
on 10/21/14 1:44 am - Oakville, Canada

What do they mean by long history of documented professional guidance with weight loss and food nutrition?

katievn
on 10/21/14 1:53 am, edited 10/21/14 1:56 am

They want me to have proof of having spent a period of time with a nutritionist, or Weight  Watchers, or Slim Fast.. or Jenny Craig.. or some sort of professional weight management person/group, wether it's paid out of pocket or paid by benefits. That's their policy aparently, and without it, OHIP won't even consider covering any weight loss surgery.
I really thought that there would be better questions about what kind of struggles I face on a daily basis with being over weight. Each person has different struggles and different things they've tried. I didn't think for a second that I'd get rejected.

josh_h2
on 10/21/14 2:07 am

My advise, wait 3 months, have another app't with your GP - talk again about weight loss & suggestions, wait 3 more months, talk to them again and ask for the referral again..  you've then been working with a "professional" for 6 months.

6 months isn't really very long in the grand scheme of things (and I know it doesn't feel that way now)..

Good luck!

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

sweetnurse64
on 10/21/14 3:28 am, edited 10/21/14 3:30 am - Canada

Hi,  they didn't make me show any proof. My Dr. Originally told them in the referral and then I wrote the various attempts in the paperwork but didn't have to show anything documented! I should say though that when my Dr. Sent the referral in she also set me up with the dietician for some sessions. I went to the Windsor Bariatric Centre. Surgery is going to be at Toronto Western. (Although I could have chosen Guelph.) I have heard Guelph is very strict.

NorthernStar
on 10/21/14 2:05 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Wow, I've never heard of this. I do recall being asked about my history of diets and that questions was filled out on a form, but I never provided any official documentation as far as weight loss attempts. Something doesn't sound right here - I'm not saying you're not being truthful, I just don't understand their reasoning. Is that all the nurse said about being declined for surgery? You're not going to be booked any appointments?

I think you need to call them back and speak with someone else.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

katievn
on 10/21/14 2:13 am

We never even got to that part of the questions - We cleared up some questions that my doctor didn't fill out, but then all we talked about after that was needing to spend time (minumim of 6 months) with nutritionists/dieticians in order to qualify. She said that if I didn't reach any goals in that time, then I could reapply and start this process all over again.
No, I was not booked for any appointments with anyone. It was the phone call and that was it :(

With your suggestion, I will be calling back. Thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics