The Road Travelled

tg2013
on 10/23/14 10:02 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Today is my one year anniversary of RNY Surgery!

Last year I came to a fork in the road of life. 

On one side there was a very smooth and easy journey . A road that seemed to go downhill. A road where I could  see the end. On the other side of me there was another road. A road that seemed to be going uphill at times. A road that was rough however I could not see the end of this road.  Did it flatten out? Was it all up hill? Where does it end? These are questions I asked myself. Do I want to keep travelling down a road that I have been travelling on for many, many years? A road that is easy and downhill, a road that I see the end of . It's an end that is so predictable.  An end that no person wants to reach. The end of this road is close for many. Do I want to pick this road and get to the end before I need to?

I didn't want the easy road any more  I chose to take the rough uphill road.  The road where I need to use all my wits and my stamina to walk. A road that goes on and on.

The road I travel has been rough and a lot of the time a steep up hill journey. Has the journey this past year been easy? The answer is simple for me. The answer has been no it's not been easy. I have had complications from the RNY surgery. I have had many trips to the hospital I have endured many tests . Four weeks ago I have had a second surgery to correct some of the issues.  Has the second surgery successful?  No it hasn't . I still have some of the same issues on going. 

Do I experienced pain? Yes!

Do I sometimes feel down? Yes!   

The question I get all the time is ... Knowing then what you know now would you do it again? and Why would you put yourself through it?

The answer....

Yes I would.  I believe the road I chose will eventually smooth out and become easier to walk on.

And  ... I still cannot see the end of this road

msmuggins
on 10/23/14 10:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Bravo!  You look AMAZING!!!  Thanks for sharing your journey so far.  I hope the road smooths out quickly.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Wesley T.
on 10/24/14 12:43 am - Canada

Your strength is powerful. You highlight a lot of what is not seen in the flashy ads and website testimonials about Bariatrics. Complications are real and life threatening! You look awesome too!

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

NewMe2.0
on 10/24/14 1:33 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

You have a great attitude...I am only 5 months out and have had a few complications too, but I still wouldn't change a thing. 

Congratulations on your 1 year, and thank you for sharing.

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Karen M.
on 10/24/14 2:28 am - Mississauga, Canada

Happy 1 year! Wishing you continued success and good health!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tg2013
on 10/24/14 3:25 am, edited 10/24/14 3:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone   I am so thankful to be able to live a life I had, wanted back  and now able to achieve. I do not let the Nay Sayers get to me.  This life I have chosen is not the easy way out  It is a hard road, However it is full of rewards.

Troy 

Zizzler
on 10/24/14 9:17 am

Really like this post, and feel similarly.  It takes a lot of guts to choose this big of a change, to risk everything for the chance at a healthier life.  Good for you, keep up the good work.  I think you are right and your health issues will even out, just a matter of time.

Most Active
Recent Topics