Food getting stuck

Lima
on 10/28/14 2:15 pm

It's happened a few times now I go to eat something specifically chicken and it gets stuck right in the rib cage area. So I read a lot of stuff about this problem and according to some people it's from not chewing enough and eating too fast. Last night I was in agony for over an hour. Tonight we had turkey and I put it through the food processor and put some gravy on it. It was very mushy and moist and after a few bites same thing. Stuck feeling!  Will I have to eat soup forever?  

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/28/14 2:30 pm - Windsor, Canada

It can also be that you may be developing a stricture.   

Give it more time.  Try a little warm water leading up I eating time. (This some times helps the pouch accept food).  

Give your pouch some time to heal. Then try some mushy stuff and try other forms.

Fork down between bites.  Slow.  Deliberate.   

If it keeps happening call your centre. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 10/28/14 11:27 pm - Mississauga, Canada

What Dawn said ^^ about a stricture. Keep an eye on this as my stricture (that developed at 4-5 weeks post-op) started the same way. Within a week I wasn't able to get anything down, including clear fluids (somehow hot tea made it through in tiny dribbles, but other than that, nada). If this continues, see your surgeon asap.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Vie77
on 10/29/14 4:41 am - Hamilton, Canada

No you wont. But please eat slow- I mean take an hour at least- stop & start. I still have issues when I eat too fast. But I've lost 136lbs & have 45lbs left to go to hit target weight. The surgery helps control how much food we eat but not if you have an eating disorder. It took 6 months before I could eat cut up food. Hang in there

Sylvie

Hollynik
on 10/29/14 7:48 am - Canada

I had trouble with food feeling like it was stuck when I switched over to soft foods and then more regular foods.  I had my surgery in August and had no problems that month but around 4-6 weeks I spent alot of days vomiting, I thought either from eating too fast, not chewing well enough or meat not moist enough. It hurt so much I had to get it out to stop the pain.  Yesterday I had my 3 month check up and the dietician told me that it could have been from swelling in the stoma since I am not having this problem anymore.  I figure either I have learned how to eat properly or the swelling has gone down.  She said since it isn't still happening it isn't a stricture, which I am glad to not have.  Maybe you just still have swelling but if it continues you may need to call your centre.

Lima
on 10/29/14 8:04 am

So tonight I had spaghetti squash with Mariners sauce and parm cheese. After three bites that stuck feeling started again. I bought papaya enzymes today and had one and tried again this time I slowed things way way down and so far so good. When people say slow they really do mean slow. It took me 30-40 minutes to eat and I feel much much better. Don't know if it was the enzyme or the slowing down but alleluia feels better thanks for your replies. 

Buckeye
on 10/29/14 10:00 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/26/14

I get that exact feeling when I eat Chicken or turkey too fast...the next couple hours are very uncomfortable to say the least...I always have to take my time with poultry...

Most Active
Recent Topics