Smoking

melaniealbert_1978
on 10/23/14 6:10 am - Oakville, Canada

My doctor sent in my referral and I am a smoker at the time. I have quit now for the surgery.

How do they test for the nicotine and how long to I have to be quit for the test to come back negative. I hop-e this does interfere and get me rejected.

Buckeye
on 10/23/14 8:03 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/26/14

lol, I think you missed word not before interfere...but I do not think they test...but maybe someone else knows who smoked previously...

mum2TNT
on 10/23/14 9:14 am - Oshawa, Canada

I read somewhere that they do random nicotine tests?? not sure if that is saliva or blood and when they do them

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/14 9:37 am - Orillia, Canada

You have to be smoke free for 6 months consecutively before you will be considered for the surgery.  I know because I was a smoker at the beginning of this year.

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/14 9:40 am, edited 10/23/14 9:41 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

The test will be urine and or blood. If you are a smoker, you may make it through the process without being tested, but come PATTS (pre admission to surgery testing) and on your surgery day, your anestheiologist will know you smoke, even if you don't tell him. It dangerous to not tell them, to try to squeak by for surgery without being 'caught' because it is their responsibility to keep you breathing during surgery, and they need to know exactly what they are dealing with prior to surgery to properly prepare for it. Patients who smoke do not act normal lung wise under anesthesia, so they will always know even if you hid it from them (which is NOT wise)

I quit smoking for surgery before my doctor would send my referral, I know how hard it is... But really worth it and empowering. As far as the referral process goes, I believe they require you to be smoke free for 6 months prior to orientation. 

Good luck!

Shilohboy534
on 10/23/14 9:53 am

I was a smoker until a month before surgery unbeknowced to my doctors. I had surgery on October 21 at TEGH. Just before I went under for sugery the doctor asked if I did smoke? And I responded YES!  When I woke up from surgery I could feel my chest fighting for breath, during my recovery a nurse came into my room and expressed that during surgery I had issues breathing. My advise is to STOP SMOKING because you could die on the table for REAL. I just went through it and my chest is still hurting because I didn't quit.  But I'm happy to say I am finished with smoking all together! And they do do nicotine tests at you pre op appointment. Good luck my friend. 

Jenny7822
on 10/23/14 11:30 am - Canada

Hi,

My doctor just sent my referral today and I didn't realize that you have to be a non-smoker. Is this included on the referral form that my doctor sends in to the clinic? I didn't realize this. I would quit right now if it means getting approved! Ugh!

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/14 11:38 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

It is a question on the referral form... 

sami711
on 10/23/14 11:51 am

They tested my urine nicotine. Google Urine Nicotine test to see how that works. My results showed that I am a non smoker, but you can also have results that show that you are a smoker, you live with smokers/get a lot of second hand smoke. Smoking can cause breathing, clotting, and/or healing issues during and post surgery, so quitting is the way to go.

I know quitting isn't easy, but losing weight isn't either, and if you weigh the options, only one is going to be better for your health.

Good luck to you! You can do it!

Loaf
on 10/24/14 2:52 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Smoking is the largest cause of getting ulcers.  and an ulcer in a pouch or sleeve the size of a golf ball is not a good idea.

Most Active
Recent Topics