Replacing the time...

Helna_Handbasket
on 11/27/14 1:42 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Hello!  I JUST started the process - had my Information Session yesterday at TWH and received my list of appointments for the next several months.  Really exciting to see things moving forward now that I've made the step toward wls.  

So here's the thing.  I love food - making it and eating it (thai & mexican esp). I love watching food (ok Gordon Ramsay - I just want to poke my finger in his chin dimple), and admittedly I spend a lot of time thinking about it.  What to make for dinner, what to plan for Christmas dinner, dinner plans out with friends - are you seeing the pattern here?  I know unequivocally that I am going to need to adjust this thinking.  I will do it.  It won't be easy but I'll do it.  Whether it's picking up a few hobbies, write that book I've been planning on doing for years, or take up knitting - whatever.  I know I can't make food be a focus of my entertainment and life.  Eat to live, not live to eat right?

I want to know what you've done.  What is working for you?  What are you doing with your time?  Meal planning for the new lifestyle I am sure - but do you find yourself going to the gym etc?  What about activities with friends - how are you doing with dinners out etc?

Thanks a bunch - much appreciated :)

Lisa 

Patm
on 11/27/14 2:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I still love to cook. I just challenge myself to cook healthy. Check out Eggface or Antics of a Museum Girl 

These are two women who found ways to eat within their new diets. There are many people on the web with similar sites. There is also an Ontario OH recipe site which has great recipes especially when you get to opti.

As for restaurants. I tend to check out the menus before I go to one and see what I might like. I take home what I can not eat. I love salad so just make sure their is protein in it. Buffets become a waste of money. There are often appetizers that fill me up.

Yes it is a shift in thinking. Make some changes gradually as you go through the process. A big one is starting to drink the water.

Good luck with your journey. Check out the TWH support group that meets twice a month. There are pre and post opts there. The one on December 17th will have people taking about how the surgery has helped them.

Catw
on 11/27/14 2:43 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Lisa,

First of all, Congratulations on realizing how much of your life is consumed by food, and recognizing that you will have to make changes.  Everyone is so different, some go to gyms, some run, some swim (in the warm pool).  I walk more, and play with my kids more.  Go skating with them.  I think we are all more active in one way or another since surgery.  Part of it is we now have more energy, but also, with less weight, it's easier to be active.

You will be planning meals ahead for the rest of your life, but what is different from today's planning to tomorrows will be how you make things and what you make.  You can still make and eat Thai  & Mexican, but it will be how you make it (may not be as spicey) and what you have.  You'll be able to have a full turkey dinner, but may only be able to use a small plate instead of a big one.

When you do find head hunger hitting, pick up a hobby.  If you knit, you could always do mitts, hatts and blankets and donate them to the local hospital, or lap afghans for seniors and donate them to either a seniors home or extenda care in the hospital.

Maybe you can start activities with your friends that are active.  I would have liked to be a mud runner last year, but had been booked to work at a Blind Fishing Tournament (BAIT).

As for dinners out, try to pick a restaurant that has an on-line menu.  Then you can plan a healthy wise choice before you get there.  Helps prevent eaters remorse afterwards when you order when you are hungry.  If you drink, don't try until you are well out, some say 9 months to a year.  You won't be able to drink as much, as fast, and it will hit you harder than usual. The buzz won't last as long, but this is where you have to be really careful.  With losing weight, your liver will be working harder, and when you drink there is no filter for the alcohol before it hits your liver so it has to work harder than that.  This can take quite a tole on your liver and you may not realize it until it's too late.

Cathy

P.S.  I still watch DDD, GGG, Chopped, Halloween Wars, Christmas challenges, etc.  No problem.  By this point, there isn't much that they show that tells me to go and make it or go find the place and buy it as it's usually not bariatric friendly.  And Guy likes things spicier than I do.

Karen M.
on 11/27/14 2:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, your focus will shift but that doesn't mean you have to give up your love of food and cooking. I love to cook and having WLS 8 1/2 years ago has actually increased my interest and enjoyment of both food and creative cookery. One of my greatest joys is cooking for others - I don't feel terrible temptation, the need to overeat, or any negative feelings associated with food.

The key is to come to peace with "the enemy" (food) and learn how to use it and enjoy it properly. Planning menus and meals keeps me focused, on track and accountable. This is not to say that it's easy - I've had many years to learn how to do this.

Eating out is as simple and successful as you make it - read the restaurant menu prior to going whenever possible, plan your daily menu around your meal out (it's very simple to stay "on plan" while out), and enjoy the interaction and company you are dining with most importantly!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

glutenfreeslimmer
on 11/27/14 5:09 am - Kingston, Canada

This is such an exciting time for you, getting started on all your appointments.  Our weight problems usually stem from loving food, for some it's junk food by the bag, for others its enjoying too much of the food we love.  You will find a balance.  I operate a bakery, so I'm surrounded by all the things that tempt most people.  For me since surgery, I don't have the same temptations, mostly because the portions I can eat are so small, and I can't "waste" a meal on something so sugary and lacking protein.  Your tastes will change post-op, some things you look forward to eating, just aren't satisfying any more. My best suggestion is to start now and make gradual changes, decrease or cut out your social drinking (if you drink), and become the designated driver for family and friends.  Next, start reading labels (this can become very time-consuming)  You will want to be eating a minimum of 60g of protein per day - this can be a challenge, even at pre-op portion sizes.  Here's where your creativity and love of cooking will come into play.  Think PROTEIN, then low sugar, fat and carbs.  Your menu planning can be very creative, trying to get the biggest bang of nutrition for the amount you eat.  One thing I've had to adjust to since surgery is spending a couple of hours cooking something, to only be able to eat about 1/2 cup for a meal.  I use small plates, and try to slow my eating down.  I also went to our local wholesale grocery (the public is welcome) and bought some commercial microwavable containers, so I can freeze small portions for me for lunches.  Your love of food doesn't have to end with WLS, you just have to adjust it, start now while you're super motivated about your upcoming appointments.

lyshy
on 11/27/14 8:00 am - Canada

Hi Lisa

I so hear myself in your words so I am glad to read I'm not alone in my "food obsession" yet having the Will power to know the change and shift can be made.  I'll enjoy reading the replies you get so thank you for posting your question.  

Guelph - Referral: August '14. Orientation: Oct 23/14. Nurse: Nov 26/14. Dietician/SW: Dec 12/14. Nurse 2/Dietician 2: Jan 20/15. SW 2: Jan 30/15 CLEARED by all 3! Feb '15: H Pylori testing.  Pre-surgery nutrition class: Mar 23/15.  Meet surgeon: May 22/15 with Dr.Reed   Surgeon Appt #2: June 16/15.  Surgery date: Aug 20/15.

roxytrim
on 11/27/14 9:30 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Really terrific question & most insightful replys everyone!  I have a long history with food both personal & professional.  I found for the first 18 months it was pretty simple because you quickly learn that the amounts you consume are so small, the whole eating thing isn't really worth your time, just close attention to get all the nutrition that you need so food, by necessity does become fuel.  Now closing in to my second year I'm catching my inner foodie coming to surface again but the difference is I am more aware of it, have some good tools to deal with it including these posts just listed.  It is the maturing of your life and awareness post WLS and that is a good thing.  We are all human and we will learn from our past and we are stronger for our experience.  Trust yourself and learn to walk the road on this life long journey and always be greatful for this gift of a second chance.

Helna_Handbasket
on 11/28/14 1:52 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply.  Some fantastic ideas, suggestions and insight.  I know it's a journey, and one I am looking forward to.  

cheers - Lisa

kellybelly333
on 11/28/14 8:02 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Lisa,

As others have posted, congratulations on starting out with some research on how to handle things post-surgery. I was never a cook, and i'm still not. It was finding a happy place after without junk in my life. And that was just easy somehow. 

My life did a flip-flop after surgery. I didn't feel like sitting around watching TV anymore, and I also didn't read for a year (I loved eating and reading, so this was fine by me). I started walking in the hospital, and that jump-started my exercise regime, and now I run. I race long-distance running and triathlons. I love it. In 2016 I plan on becoming a spin instructor. Life is much different. My food can be boring at times, but it's what works for me, and i'm happily maintaining. 

Good luck!!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics