How much weight did you lose on Opti?

Dreamy74
on 1/19/15 12:09 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I was prescribed Opti for 3 weeks but due to surgery coming up earlier, I will only be on it for a total of 19 days. My question is, how much weight did you lose on Opti?  Today is day 4 of Opti for me and I already feel like I have lost weight but my hubby to be says I can't possibly as it is too soon.  I don't yet have a scale at home.  So I was just wondering, how much did you lose while on Opti and how many weeks were you on it before surgery?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

annw
on 1/19/15 12:27 am
RNY on 07/29/14

I was on Opti for three weeks and lost 23 pounds. Good luck!

December 12, 2013 Orientation; January 21, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; February 12, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian/Social Worker; March 28, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; June 9, 2014 Post Op Diet Class; June 16, 2014 Surgeon consult (Dr. Bhojani in Guelph); July 7, 2014 started Optifast; July 29, 2014 Surgery.

Dreamy74
on 1/19/15 12:47 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Oh wow annw! That is amazing!  Nearly 7 pounds each week!

Catw
on 1/19/15 12:45 am - Arnprior, Canada

I don't remember how much I lost, but I was on Opti just short of 3 weeks (got a cancellation so was a couple days late starting).  Not everyone actually loses on Opti, but some do.  The main point of Opti is to shrink your liver, to give the surgeon room to move around.

And yes, you can lose weight in 4 days, when you change your diet that drastically, you'll lose a lot of water weight.  That's how the "diet" programs can advertise losing so much the first week.  Then you slow down.

Enjoy your journey.

Cathy

Dreamy74
on 1/19/15 12:48 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thanks Catw!  xo

Swell
on 1/19/15 1:18 am - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

I lost 13 lbs after two weeks on Opti. Two weeks ago, I had my surgery, and I've since lost another 12 lbs--making a 25lb weight loss over the last 4 weeks

bee28
on 1/19/15 1:58 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I was also on opti for 3 weeks... and after the first day (purely out of curiosity) I weighed myself the next morning and I was down 5lbs! I couldn't believe it because that seems impossible but it was more likely than no****er weight or weight lost after being "emptied" out sort to say... I ended up losing a total of 21lbs after 21 days.

Patm
on 1/19/15 2:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was on opti for 3 weeks. I lost 16 lb ad gained it all back in the hospital. Opti did not agree with me so I was slightly dehydrated when I went to the hospital. They pumped me with enough fluid to bloat me. Fortunately a few days home and it all went away. As Catw said it is more about shrinking the liver. You will lose lots after surgery.

jaxie77
on 1/19/15 2:56 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

You most certainly can lose in the first few days .....I began Opti on a Tuesay morning . I weighed myself that morning and I weighed again on the thursday evening the same weweek ( cos like you I really felt like I had lost !!) And I was down 10 lbs !!!!  Like Catw says , it's probs mostly water weight , but it's still weight ! That's not on you anymore !! ( I peed like a racehorse that first week Lol ) ....Take it ! I lost a total of 26 in the 20 days I was on Opti . Stick to it , focus on your big day , and trust me you will feel great by the time surgery comes around . Then it's only onwards and downwards from there  I'm 5 weeks out tomorrow and down a total of 53 including the loss on Opti . I feel great . 

Good luck dear , you're gonna rock this xxx 

Jax xx

Dreamy74
on 1/19/15 3:41 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Wow gals thanks for all your input.  And Jaxie!! WOW you're down 53 pounds already!?  You go girl!  I did go to my doctor on my lunch hour to get her to fill out the PAC form for TEGH and I was 284.  I told the doctor to do it again.  284?  I was just 290 on Friday haha.  I've lost 6 pounds and I am sooo happy.  I am sitting at my work desk now sipping a vanilla Opti and it's tasting so good now haha.

xoxoxo

Most Active
Recent Topics