exercise

bubbosmama
on 1/25/15 2:54 am - Canada

I am one week post op and am feeling pretty good.  I have been able to add yogurt, oatmeal and soup. Up until a week before surgery I was walking 30-45 minutes a day on the treadmill, and got started back walking today.  My question is: How much exercise can one do this soon after surgery?  My husband suggested I start with 10-15 and work up, but 15 was really easy... I went low speed without high incline.  Is it best to start slow and workup, or can I just do what feels ok? I am not talking going full out, just maybe 15 minutes twice a day or 30 minutes once a day? 

crqvingchange
on 1/25/15 5:46 am

I would think it would be OK if you are at home and can stop when you feel fatigued or feel any discomfort.

Patm
on 1/25/15 7:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I applaud your desire to excerse. Just remember you just had major surgery. DO not over due it or it could back fire and set you back. I would think the 15 mins twice a day would be fine. I was recently told 15 minutes is all that is needed for it to have effect

bubbosmama
on 1/25/15 9:16 am - Canada

I have always liked exercise so am actually missing it.  I agree not to overdo it, and I do tend to be all in, so I will heed your advice and do one or two 15 minute sessions a day only.  Thanks

highlandbear
on 1/25/15 9:25 pm - Canada

At one week out I walked once around the block 3 times throughout the day. Just went nice and easy with the dog. I slowly worked up . you want to give the body time to heal

Most Active
Recent Topics