letter of Medical Necessity - plastics

Nellabelle
on 1/24/15 9:45 am - Hamilton, Canada

You are no longer able to write off cosmetic surgery on your Ontario taxes..unless it is medically necessary. Does anyone have a copy of that style of letter for a tummy tuck? It is best that your doctor - not surgeon write is as they surgeon has ulterior motives  like the money to do the surgery. My Dr works best if I just have him sign.

Mary A.
on 1/30/15 1:16 am

I am 6 yrs post op and just had a pannilectomy this past September...I wasn't aware that you could ever "write-off" plastic surgery...news to me. 

Certain parts of the surgery can/may be approved by the Ministry of Health and LOng Term care..and, but again "writing" it off is something I have never heard of.

Hopefully someone who has used this...can help you out, it looks like you have had a lot of people view this post, but ????

Hopefully someone will see this and give you some assistance.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 1:32 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It was a medical expense even if for cosmetic reasons til a few years ago.  When I had my TT, I was able to claim it but that was the last year that it could be claimed.  

To the OP, you only need proof if CRA asks for it.  I had to explain all my medical expenses one year and I had to get letters from the doctors that I had seen and the reason why I had to travel to them.  It wasn't for plastics but was still the info that they needed so your doc would have to write the reason why you needed plastics for medical reasons, only he/she would know those reasons, such as rashes or skin breakdowns, etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics