Hunger pangs ...

TES
on 1/29/15 3:28 am - Ottawa, Canada

For the last few weeks, I've been dealing with nearly constant hunger pangs.  The most disconcerting part of it, is these pangs begin within 10 mins of having eaten.  At first I thought it was just the after effects of having my routine blown to hell while I was on holiday, but now that I'm back on point, they haven't gone away.

I thought maybe they were all in my head, but no, these are tummy growling, "I'm hungry" kind of twinges that are really, REALLY there.  I'm eating well, and definitely eating enough (between 900 - 1100 calories a day).  Its really frustrating because I have to work very hard NOT to have something else to eat to stop the pangs.

I spoke with a Nurse Practitioner at the clinic here in Ottawa and she didn't see overly concerned.  Just told me to monitor what I ate and make sure I'm getting a good  balance of protein, carbs, etc. which I am.

Has anyone else experienced this only 6 months out?  I'm a little freak out by the intensity of the hunger pangs (it doesn't hurt but there are definitely THERE).

TES

NorthernStar
on 1/29/15 3:43 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I experienced that exact same thing at 6 months out. I just got through it the best I could, but later learned that issues with stomach acid can cause feeling similar to hunger. This can sometimes be helped with Prevacid. I really wish I'd known this at the time. Most folks are put on Prevacid for 6 months, have you recently finished yours?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

TES
on 1/29/15 3:50 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Lindsey;

I wasn't actually on Prevacid.  I was on it PRIOR to surgery, but was on the time release version and told to stop it.  I wasn't given any prescription or advice to go on it after surgery.  Since I didn't have any heart burn / acid reflux, I thought it was a non-issue.  :/ If this doesn't stop in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll see about getting some.  It's so frustrating to be HUNGRY (or at least feel hungry) so often after not having any sense of hunger for so many months.  UGH.

TES

Northernlightsmom
on 1/29/15 4:49 am - Canada

I am almost a year out have had very similar "hunger pains/aches" but not long after starting antacid medication....those hunger pains have gone. Be careful not to wait too long as acid will definitely damage our little pouches.

Good Luck!

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

NorthernStar
on 1/29/15 5:26 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm surprised you weren't put on Prevacid; I thought that was fairly standard across the board as an ulcer preventative for everyone. I'd recommend you check in with your centre on this and possible getting a script for an antacid, this may help. I remember those hunger pangs and they weren't fun; a few times I ended up eating so fast that I threw up. I had to be very mindful and eventually they went away but knowing what I know now I would have asked about another month of antacids to see if they could have helped.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Catw
on 1/29/15 4:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

It could be an acid issue, I've had it at different times during my life.  For short term, something you can try is Zantac.  It's a small pill, but it helps with the acid, and we can take it safely.  It works differently than prevacid, so it can be taken at the same time.  Try it and see if it helps, just wouldn't suggest longer term use.  For that, prevacid would be better.

Cathy

pegawatt
on 1/29/15 6:34 am - Canada

I'm on Zantac and I get hunger pains all the time but they are around 2 hrs after I eat

betony63
on 1/29/15 6:58 am

Just wanted to second the suggestions about stomach acid. After I had my lapband removed I developed horrible "hunger" pangs. Turns out it was GERD. 

Hoping you get relief soon!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

TES
on 1/29/15 7:43 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone.  As I mentioned, I did call my NP and she was totally unconcerned (almost to the point of me feeling like an idiot for calling).  If I still have this after another week, I'll call again and hopefully talk to a different NP.  I definitely do NOT want to have any acid damage.

The advice is greatly, greatly appreciated.

TES

alysan
on 1/29/15 8:18 am - Canada

This is happening to me right now as well.  What is GERD?

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Most Active
Recent Topics