The View

W8_No_More
on 1/30/15 4:07 am - Kitchener, Canada

Jus****ched a segment hosted by Rosie about her gastric sleeve surgery. Pretty basic info for those of us who have looked into this much. I know the Guelph clinic where I go only does the RNY procedure unless there are medical reasons to do differently but I think that might be the province's requirements. Just curious if anyone knows why...seems like there are less issues with the sleeve so I don't understand the reasoning.

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

bubbosmama
on 1/30/15 4:15 am - Canada

I believe there are at least three reasons.  The first is that the sleeve allows you to eat foods higher in fat and sugar without dumping, than does the bypass, which in some eyes leads to more successful weight loss and maintenance.  The second is that there is a longer history of successful rny than sleeve, simply perhaps because it has been done longest, The third that comes to mind is that the experience levels of doctors in doing bypass is higher (on average) because it has been practiced longer.  I am sure there are tons of reasons but these three pooled into my head

Carchick28
on 1/30/15 4:22 am - Canada

I too have the same question.  I have done the research talked to many different people who have had both surgeries and I personally would prefer the VSG.  I do have some medical issues that also would be better if that was done over the RNY.  I personally think not having to deal with dumping is a good thing because from what I have seen it seems pretty bad when it happens and sometimes even decent foods can trigger it.  Although I do agree that it does allow the possibility of eating more bad foods and regaining and I do agree that the success rates for long term seem better with the RNY.    The VSG does seem to be less invasive and body altering.  From what I understand is that here there preference is RNY but they do both here and both are covered by OHIP.  I think the main reason they would do the VSG here is due to health concerns afterwards.  Apparently they will also do the VSG on extremely obese people and then later do the RNY.    I also believe it may have something to do with funding as well.  There are many that would prefer the RNY over VSG and the other way too.  I think in the US you can decide what you want as for here not so sure that you have much say in the decision but I could be wrong.    That is my two cents  :-)  I am sure you will get many different opinions on the topic. 

Loaf
on 1/30/15 4:32 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

From my understanding,the main reason is that the RNY has been studied to death and the VSG has not.  In Ontario the VSG has only been covered for a short while in comparison to the RNY.   The RNY has better Long Term Results (According to current Studies)

My Dr. told me that a lot of the gastric surgeons are trying to change the standard in Ontario to the VSG for many reasons,but without data to back them up,its hard. 

at the end of the day its all about the $$$$$

Gov. only wants to pay for something that is proven , even if newer procedures are becoming the global standard.

cutekatie
on 1/30/15 7:36 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Another thing to add is that the number of surgeries done in Ontario is tiny compared to large U.S. hospitals. You want the surgeon with the most experience to minimize complications. I would be very concerned to get the VSG if that surgeon is maybe doing 4-10 a year.

I am happy that Ontario chose to specialize in RNY so that the surgeons can get better at one type of surgery and thus decrease the complication rate.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

W8_No_More
on 1/30/15 9:46 am - Kitchener, Canada

Thanks everyone...interesting to know that they no longer recommend the use of NSAIDs for VSG patients. I'm happy with the RNY too because it causes me to be more restrictive in my diet. I will take all the help I can get! 😊

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Most Active
Recent Topics