Fitbit!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/15 11:39 am - Orillia, Canada

I got a Fitbit flex, I am currently in love with it. If anyone else has one, feel free to add me, [email protected].  I am right now walking laps in my apartment, so I know I won't have a ton of steps to begin with, but I am starting somewhere, I also started about a week ago tracking my calories with My Fitness Pal, It said I can eat around 3460 cal a day based off of my weight, and I have been sticking between usually around 1000-1200 and it is all fruits, veggies and lean meats.  I am trying to follow a low glycemic food list because I have diabetes and PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome).  So I have done a lot of reading and it is supposed to be beneficial (to follow a low glycemic diet).  I know that it seems kind of drastic going from eating whatever to this, but I am finally motivated and I want to try to lose 50 pounds before I start my appointments for the surgery. I want to prove to myself that I can do this.  It is a lifestyle change.  Anyone else following a low glycemic index diet? Do you have meal ideas? I have mainly been eating for dinner: Fish (halibut filet) with a small white baked potato (which is not that low glycemic wise, but not horrible) and salad with sunflower seeds and about a tablespoon of italian dressing.

annieliv
on 1/31/15 12:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

Congrats on getting the Fitbit.  I bought myself the Fit*****arge for Christmas and I'm glad I did.

I am pre-op as well and have found that seeing the # of steps I do daily and writing down everything I eat in a food journal has helped me make changes necessary before surgery.  It's made me become more aware of just how sedentary I'd become.

One of the best bits of advice I got at TWH Group was, start changing behaviours NOW.  I am eating slower, getting in all my water, have stopped drinking both coffee and all carbonated beverages.

All your hard work and self care is worth it!  Every step counts!  

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Patm
on 1/31/15 9:36 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am impressed by all the changes you and anieliv are making. This will really help you later. Keep up the great work

crqvingchange
on 1/31/15 10:28 pm

Good for you, you're doing great.

Helna_Handbasket
on 2/1/15 12:09 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Glad you posted about the Fitbit!  I've been thinking of getting one as I'm not too impressed with any app I've found for my phone to use as a pedometer.  I'm also pre-op and trying to make the lifestyle changes more of my daily life... including getting my steps in.  Good for you for just moving though - still doing more than sitting on the couch right?  Every step is a step forward to positive changes.  Like AnnieLiv I am also going through TWH and started the next day "practicing" my mindful eating and getting in the water.  I find all sorts of meal ideas off Pinterest, and just some good motivational quotes too.  I have to admit, I watched a few episodes of "My 600-LB life" yesterday and that was super motivating.  Seeing people who had surgery and just didn't treat it with the respect and care they should have - I found myself talking to the tv telling her to put down that mozzarella stick!  Sounds to me like you're doing just great - and finding the motivation and drive is an awesome thing. 

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

NorthernStar
on 2/1/15 2:33 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Way to go! Keep up the great changes you are making, you are doing a fantastic job. Glad you're enjoying your fit bit. I am debating getting one and will add you for sure if I take the plunge. Choosing foods that are lower-carb and low on the glycemic index scale are good choices.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

highlandbear
on 2/1/15 2:46 am - Canada

You are doing great. You are walking and small steps will lead to big steps. One day you might even be hiking. You never know. Keep up the great work

Delicious_Delilah
on 2/1/15 3:40 am - Ottawa, Canada

Keep up the great work!  Sounds like you have the right attitude. If you can lose a bit of weight before surgery that will certainly help your recovery!

Cheering you in from the sidelines!

DD

northernga1
on 2/1/15 6:27 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

added you to fit bit a little bit ago, i am still pre op and have found since i've gotten my fit bit i try harder and harder each day to do better.  You can add me to myfitnesspal too if you'd like [email protected].  You are doing very well and im sure your center will see that when you have your appointments.  Take this long wait to change a lot of your bad habits and work on getting in more activity.  I highly suggest you look into your doctors office and see if they offer the "cravings change" work shops, i took it a few months back it really helped me to learn why i eat the way i do and how to change it. 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/15 7:55 pm - Orillia, Canada

Thank you for the kind comments everyone! I am super motivated to change, I am hoping to lose at least 50 pounds before surgery.  I am trying very hard to stay away from junk food and instead am eating fruits for treats and also eating yogurt (sometimes the more fattening kinds as a treat).  I figure that is better than eating a chocolate bar or candy or even ice cream.  I am making sure if I want to snack I am choosing better and more healthy foods for example I LOVE baby carrots and I eat them with salsa, yes salsa is high in sodium but better than dressing.  I am so excited because I am trying to make Kale chips today! I am hoping that I can keep this eating plan I am doing up, because I actually feel better! I keep reminding myself that if I don't keep this up and go back to the way I am I will die.  It needs to be black and white.  

Most Active
Recent Topics