Miscellaneous questions about hospital stay (TEGH)

Dreamy74
on 1/30/15 12:17 am
RNY on 02/04/15

My Centre is TWH but I will be having my surgery next week at TEGH.  I am wondering a few things. 

1.  Do they give you vitamins to take while you're in hospital after surgery and next day?  Or should I bring from home?

2.  What do they give you for pain medication?  A pain pump or pills?

3.  I take regular daily medication - do I bring this from home or do they provide it?

4.  Can I just bring yoga pants and then wear a hospital gown?

5.  Visiting hours are from 12 to 8 - does anyone know if my hubby can come earlier and/or stay longer?

Your knowledge and/or insight into my questions would be appreciated.  I am getting so nervous.  After today it will be 5 days and I will be having surgery whee!!!!

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Dreamy74
on 1/30/15 12:25 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Oh and also can you shower in the hospital or no with the incisions?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Loaf
on 1/30/15 1:26 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

I have My work done in Hamilton.  But what i can tell you is.

1:  No.  they will not ask you to start taking Vitamins until after your 1 week follow up with the NUT and Nurse

2:  it is IV until of course they take the IV out.  then liquid codeine

3:  For Me  The hospital provided all Meds but 1.  And that was my Victoza So if you need to bring anything specific they will tell you in your Pre -op With the Pharmacist

4:  Being a Man... I choose not to bring my Yoga Pants.  But i changed into my own clothes on Saturday (Friday afternoon surgery)

5:  Spouses can stay as long as they want

6:  Saturday Eveing i had a shower.  I had to... Just get one of the RN's to wrap up your hand (Where the IV Is) and Lean forward so a minimal amount of water is running over your cuts .  But made me feel like a new person.  Clean Hair and Clean Bits go a long way.

7:  Walk... walk Walk. Do Laps around the Floor.   That and sipping your water is what is going to get you home. 

softballqueen89
on 1/30/15 1:32 am - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

Loaf, you paint quite the picture - thank you for the Friday afternoon laugh :)
I agree with the clean hair/bits...lol

T.

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

crqvingchange
on 1/30/15 2:38 am

I would suggest bringing earplugs as hospitals can be quite noisy and you will need as much rest as possible.

mum2TNT
on 1/30/15 12:13 pm - Oshawa, Canada

LMAO Loaf about your yoga pants ;)

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Carchick28
on 1/30/15 4:29 am - Canada

I cannot answer all of your questions but from personal experience I would bring your own meds just in case.  Any time I have dealt with hospitals and meds they don't always bring them to you on time or the right doses.  If you have any time sensitive meds that could be a concern.  It does really depend on the hospital and the nurses.  This is assuming of course that you have been okay'd to continue taking those medications.  Also, if you have a private room your spouse can spend the night I believe. 

pegawatt
on 1/31/15 3:34 am - Canada

Had my surgery 6 months ago and they had a lazy boy chair that hubby slept in on the last night cuz he told the nurse we were leaving for Oshawa the next morning.He didn't dare sleep with me or in the other bed as that wouldn't be allowed once there made up for the next patient. He said it was very uncomfortable though

Most Active
Recent Topics