Vatamins, vitamin,vitamins

Mamazoune
on 2/28/15 2:10 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12

Wow these past couple of years have been hectic!  Finding out the hard way that Soy causes kidney stones, having incredibly charged hormonal changes among many other things have been minor issues.  I have an iron and Vitamin D deficiancy regardless of the supplements I take but man, the hardest of the hardest is keeping up with those big old calcium vatamins.  The sheer amount on vitamins to negotiate and remember to take daily is quite the task but I know is necessary.  Looking for pointers aobut vitamin regimes that people are on.  I found that the first year post-op was hard because of the size of the pills, and I gag on liquid vitamins, so just looking for a little inspiration about what people are doing to keep up with this most necessary step.

Mamazoune                
kimber291
on 2/28/15 12:33 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I am just a year out and I'm still using the chewable vitamins and the liquid calcium from costco made by wellesse. I've tried the giant horse pills during this journey and I just can't choke them down. I had choked on a petite calcium pills about 6 months ago and that did it for me. You can also buy the calcium chewables if you can't do the liquid. There are ways around it. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Carleen L.
on 3/1/15 3:52 am

I buy Citracal calcium pills, and yes, they are rather big. I can swallow them just fine, but I understand that they are big. When I was a few years out post op, I used a mortar and pestle to crush up the calcium tabs into powder. I'd then just add it to my yogurt or protein shake just to get it over with. Works well. 

jlperiard
on 3/1/15 1:30 pm - Stoney Creek, Canada

These are some great suggestions.  I haven't had my surgery yet but they have me started on my vitamins already.  I was wondering how you'd be able to have room in your stomach for that many pills and also remembering to take some of them 2 hours before or after others and then remembering to wait a certain amount of time to drink after you eat.

It sounds like I'm going to need to wear a watch programmed with multiple alarms.

Mary A.
on 3/3/15 4:21 am

at 6 yrs post-op I can proudly say that I am actually pretty good about taking my vitamins. 

I take an early morning slew of them, then at lunch I take more iron, then at dinner I take the other slew

I also have switched to Bio-D-Mulsion  by Biotics, it's a liquid vitamin D and therefore I put 3-5 drops in my coffee for the morning and I am set.

Most people have phones where you can put reminders to take your pills, so use that and ALWAYS keep 1 of everything in a Ziploc bag in your purse in case you are out for dinner etc

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics