Nervous - PSCHOLOGIST

BaseballGirlie75
on 2/27/15 12:25 am - Canada

Hi Everyone,

I don't post alot and I am sorry, but I read everything you vets are amazing with knowledge you have about this life changing experince (New Life)!! So I have my first Pschologist today and I did spell that wrong. I know baseballgirle has responded to me saying everything will be good just be open and honest, but I am nervous what should I expect today? Count down appointment is at 2pm and nerves are getting the best of me.

Thanks

B

BaseballGirlie75
on 2/27/15 12:29 am - Canada

Sorry I meant Softball Queen (LOL)

annieliv
on 2/27/15 12:34 am - Toronto, Canada

Just be yourself, relax, and answer questions honestly. The team is there to help you.

Best of luck. 

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Ipatton
on 2/27/15 12:39 am - Canada

Its ok to be nervous, it is likely a very new experience, I wasn't sure what to expect going in.  In mine they just made sure I knew what was going to happen to me (knowledge of the surgery, risks) and stuff like that, we talked about support, from family and friends and how I will be able to deal with life after the operation, we also talked about what got me to that point (being that heavy and requiring surgery) and if there were things I could do to cope with some of my food issues etc.

They were basically making sure you were capable of giving consent, knew what was going on and were getting prepared to be successful after the surgery. 

Anyways that was my experience, others would be different I imagine, I would just say that they are there to help you, they are not looking to cut people from the surgery list, they just need to be sure you are ready, so be honest.

Ipatton
on 2/27/15 12:39 am - Canada

Its ok to be nervous, it is likely a very new experience, I wasn't sure what to expect going in.  In mine they just made sure I knew what was going to happen to me (knowledge of the surgery, risks) and stuff like that, we talked about support, from family and friends and how I will be able to deal with life after the operation, we also talked about what got me to that point (being that heavy and requiring surgery) and if there were things I could do to cope with some of my food issues etc.

They were basically making sure you were capable of giving consent, knew what was going on and were getting prepared to be successful after the surgery. 

Anyways that was my experience, others would be different I imagine, I would just say that they are there to help you, they are not looking to cut people from the surgery list, they just need to be sure you are ready, so be honest.

Catw
on 2/27/15 12:45 am - Arnprior, Canada

Everything you say with the psychologist is between you and them (unless they feel that silence will harm you or someone else).  Be honest with yourself and be honest with them.  I know it can be scary, but I've dealt with 2 psychologists for my kids (each have their own), and they have been great.  They've supported not only my kids but me.  I've also seen 2 counselors/therapists (for other reasons).  It's help that was needed when I had it

Not to minimize psychologists in the least, but they are a tool to use.  Just like the surgery.  If you do have any issues, they'll help you discover them, and deal with them in a healthy way.  They will work with you, not against you.  But for them to do this, you have to be honest.

The only thing I can say you can expect, is a lot of talking.  And for me, time went by fast.  You'll do fine, it's OK to be nervous about something new, just don't let the nerves take control

Cathy

BaseballGirlie75
on 2/27/15 12:48 am - Canada

Thank you so much. I can't believe how this process has been I have learned so much from everyones post.  From what are you eating today, to being a shoulder for someone. Thanks Everyone!! I have one Victory that I am proud of even thou its not a huge thing I have been DIET COKE FREE since November 2014, I have drank Diet Coke since I was 13 and now going into my late 30's I feel good, but I don't think I wouldnt have kicked that habit if it wasn't for this program, it has changed so much in my life, food and thoughts and I haven't had the surgery yet.  Thanks to all the Vets on here and everyone you have helped me change things I wouldnt have. Keep up your great knowledge.

Most Active
Recent Topics