Orientation Monday....OWMC

Molly83
on 3/1/15 3:04 am - Canada

So my day for orientation is finally here. I am heading to Ottawa this afternoon. I live far out of town and back in December when this was booked I was concerned about the weather and a 9am time slot. So, I booked a hotel. My friend and I head out soon. I am excited but also nervous. I realize this is just information however it is a real start to this journey. I plan to stop and pick up a note book to write questions in so I don't forget and to keep notes. Anything else I should bring? I know I have to stop by admitting to get a green hospital card. I am hoping to do that tonight when I get into Ottawa to save me time and calm my nerves for tomorrow. One less thing to worry about is always good. I am actually really nervous about parking! Anyways, super excited and wanted to share! 

1st referral-June 2014, sent back and resubmitted September 2014. Wrong referral-medical not surgical. December 22-Surgical Referral sent in.

March 2, 2015-Orientation session; April 8, 2015-Blood work completed; May 12, 2015-Intake appointment; July 24, 2015 Dietician/Behaviourist; August 26, 2015 Pre-surgery class; September 21, 2015 Meet the surgeon; SURGERY NOVEMBER 13, 2015

lammytee14
on 3/1/15 3:36 am

Isn't it exciting that your orientation is finally here?! Good planning to come in to Ottawa today to be prepared for tomorrow. Parking can be a nightmare at the Civic so I suggest you go early around 8:00 to reduce the stress factor trying to find parking. By going really early, hopefully you can get parking in the lot in front of Grimes Lodge (where OWMC is). It's worth paying the extra for parking by getting there early. If you want to get a coffee to take up with you to orientation, there is Tim Horton's and Second Cup on the main level of the Civic.

Good idea to bring your notebook, pen and support person. Not much else to bring but a positive attitude and an open mind. You'll like the staff at the WMC...they are wonderful.

Good luck tomorrow!

Tammy :)

Molly83
on 3/1/15 3:38 am - Canada

Thanks Tammy! I actually had a sigh of relieve reading your reply. I don't consider myself an anxious person but I really am right now! I will get there early and find the Tim Horton's! I just love this forum for support! Thanks!

1st referral-June 2014, sent back and resubmitted September 2014. Wrong referral-medical not surgical. December 22-Surgical Referral sent in.

March 2, 2015-Orientation session; April 8, 2015-Blood work completed; May 12, 2015-Intake appointment; July 24, 2015 Dietician/Behaviourist; August 26, 2015 Pre-surgery class; September 21, 2015 Meet the surgeon; SURGERY NOVEMBER 13, 2015

lammytee14
on 3/1/15 4:46 am

You're welcome! :)

Kittykatt1329
on 3/1/15 5:37 am - Alfred, Canada

Molly

i agree with everything that Tammy said.  It's great that you brought someone to support you incase you miss something as there is a lot of info to go over.  And yes parking is a nightmare. If you are going to try and get into the parking lot in front of the Grimes building watch to see how many cars are waiting to get in. If there is a lot you might want to try another parking lot there.  

Good luck. 

Cathy 

jlperiard
on 3/1/15 1:19 pm - Stoney Creek, Canada

I was so excited for my orientation too and nervous because it is kind of stressful and fear of the unknown etc.  I assume it's close to the same there as at St. Joes in Hamilton.  There is a power point presentation and they give you a lot of info and forms to fill out to take to your first official appt.  I read over all my info after and made a list of questions to take to the first appt too.

What I found the most comforting was that I felt I belonged there.  I didn't stand out from anyone else and no one was staring at me.

Have fun!

Jiliana2
on 3/4/15 12:29 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had my 1-year appointment on Monday at the Civic; wow, but the waiting room was FULL of folks who were invited for the information session! Had I realized you were going to be there, I would have found you to say hello!

As for parking, I always went early enough to park at the very top floor of the parking garage. Then coming across the street, I walked through the main building on the first floor (past the coffee shops, kiosks, etc.) and out the end door, and over to Maurice Grimes Lodge and up to the 3rd floor to OWMC. I found this much easier... and it let me get in some exercise too. That always helps.

I hope your orientation session went well! Do let us know!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics