Questions about multivitamins - tablets vs. capsules

Dreamy74
on 3/26/15 1:08 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all!  I am currently taking Swiss brand multivitamins x 2 per day.  They are tablets.  I am 6-7 weeks out from surgery.  I also take calcium citrate 1,500 mgs spaced out 500 mgs x 3 per day.  I make sure to space out the tablets by at least 2 hours.

I have heard though that capsules are much better absorbed.  If you take capsules, do you swallow them whole or do you open them up and have them that way (i.e. like in applesauce or yogurt)?

Also, what brand capsule do you take?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

kellybelly333
on 3/26/15 1:36 am - Toronto, Canada

If you can open them up and put into something then do it, as it is better absorbed that way (due to our lack of stomach acid, breaking down the capsules takes work, so you're doing the work for it, by opening it up)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 3/26/15 2:15 am - Arnprior, Canada

When I was at that point, I had to open my prevacid capsules. Just double check the multi-vitamins.  Make sure that they are not time released.  I know that there was one brand that looked real good for numbers, but it was time released so it wouldn't work for us but I can't remember which one.

All my current vitamins are tablet forms.  The only thing I take in capsule is Prevacid.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics