Skin Cramp

Patm
on 4/16/15 11:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have often gotten leg cramps in my calf. I have learned to put my foot on a cold floor and flex my foot and I can usually stop it, Tonight I got a cramp in my shin. The pain was unreal.

My usual method only seemed to make it worse and I just couldn't move. So my question do any of you get a cramp in the shin and how you to get it to stop? It has left me with a tight thigh muscle I am hoping will not spasm

W8_No_More
on 4/16/15 11:53 am - Kitchener, Canada

Hi Pat... Yes I have had shin cramps and they are awful. I find doing the opposite of flexing my foot...namely pointing my toes and massaging that area can get it to relax. Lately I've had night time leg cramps in every leg muscle from the knees down so I've been increasing my water and using a heating pad to warm the foot end of the bed before I go to sleep or in the night if my feet and legs are cold.

Good luck with the cramps...not fun at all. Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Patm
on 4/16/15 11:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks. I may not of drank a enough water yesterday. I will be more careful

cherg24
on 4/16/15 12:19 pm - Ontario, Canada

I usually try flexing and  pointing my toes back and forth as well as massaging the area really hard.  I'll push down in the area to get to in cramp.   It does help after a few minutes but yeah they're awful.  Years ago I was told by dr that if you're prone to them try lying down on your bed face down with feet just dangling off the end of the bed. Curl your toes up and use then to slightly pull yourself like five or so times on a row.  Do that daily.   I did it while I was having problems and it helped. Turned out to be apparent vitamin deficiencies 

Patm
on 4/16/15 11:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks I will try that

Karen M.
on 4/17/15 6:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Vitamin deficiencies - which vitamins were you deficient in?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

finallyfree2beme
on 4/16/15 6:31 pm

Hi Pat,

Pressing your feet on the wall while lying in bed works, don't point toes, you need to stretch the cramping muscle. You may be lacking magnesium and or potassium if you are experiencing these often. Hope it helps!

Karen M.
on 4/16/15 8:27 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I get them quite frequently due to my low potassium issues and you're right, the pain is excruciating. I have tried just about every physical movement to alleviate it but find that just walking the floors until it stops is the best remedy. Walking between the living room (hardwood) and the kitchen (cool stone tiles) feels best, if there is a "best" in this lousy situation. Sometimes I have to pace for a few minutes, sometimes it takes a good hour which usually has me in tears. I also drink copious amounts of water while I'm walking "just in case" my body is a little dehydrated. I hope this is your last shin cramp, it sure does hurt. :/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Patm
on 4/16/15 11:15 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks Karen. It was just unusual in that I could get it to stop. I can usually get calf one to go with walking but this one I couldn't move.

Jiliana2
on 4/16/15 10:19 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I get these a LOT. Shins, toes (yes, TOES!), calves, thighs, all over. I have incorporated potassium and magnesium into my vitamin regime to help combat it.

When it happens, I go through all the typical remedies: standing up, walking/pacing, pointing toes and flexing, rubbing the muscle, drinking water, all of it. Sometimes it takes me 30-40 minutes to get the muscle to relax enough to go back to sleep. And then my night is messed up; I usually only get 5.5 hours of sleep per night anyway so having that 30 minutes taken from me can really do a number on my day! Argh.

Hoping you can find a solution. Do what works for you. And good luck.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics