Minor setback warning graphic

cherg24
on 4/28/15 2:22 am - Ontario, Canada

Six days out today.   The first four were going along ok and then it happened.  The pain IMF the pain.  I haven't had a poop yet and it's like there's a brick in my butt.  Cemented in mortar.  Couldn't breathe.  Felt like I wS gonna pass out and can't sit down at all . Had to go to hospital because of excruciating pain but I had to go to my local hospital as that's the only place I could get to and I absolutely could not handle the hour and fifteen minute drive to Humber.   They did a bunch of tests.  X-rays and blood etc and determined I was a.  Dehydrated and b.   constipated.  Well I already knew that.   Told me to buy a suppository and go home.   Now I'm not one to feel pain a lot but hell I was bent over a chair or table half the time and in a LOT of pain.  So I went home and tried it.  I gotta tell you that car rides are excruciating because I can't sit.  Fast forward five hours and off we go again to hospital because it's back worse than ever.  9/10.  I reserve ten for certain death.  We go through it all again different doctor.  Looks at stuff again and realize I have uleas?   So I'm admitted    Doped up and told I'll get a catscan today.  Basically keeping me drugged. I can't drink anything at all as this problem may be worsened by taking anything by mouth. I haven't "eaten" since nine am yesterday.   Had a bunch of iv juices pumped into me and have now developed clear leakage out my butt and havent peed since yesterday.   Awaiting catscan hopefully in about an hour.   Wish I could have made it to Humber.  I feel they could have dealt with this better but it took everything I had to tolerate getting to my hospital.  Not having fun at all.  Any one else had this much fun?

Seyenna
on 4/28/15 2:44 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I have told 1 person only what it took to get that first poop out.. and I know she'll take it to her grave. It's pretty horrible... good luck and hopefully it's smooth sailing from here! Be well.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

cherg24
on 4/28/15 6:40 am - Ontario, Canada

I've had post surgery poops before.  Not good but nothing compares to what I've been going through with this.  It stopped all functions in their tracks.  

Patm
on 4/28/15 2:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I hope the pain goes away soon. Glad you posted. I realise yours is extreme but people need to be aware that constipation can be a real issue after surgery

cherg24
on 4/28/15 6:42 am - Ontario, Canada

You are absolutely right. 

Drvn2skcede
on 4/28/15 3:15 am

It's spelled 'Ileus' (in case you wanted to google it), and it is common after abdominal surgery, some drugs cause it too.  I'm so sorry you've been unlucky to experience this.  And yes, thank you for posting this so that us pre-ops can be very aware to watch for this (and possibly talk to our docs about what we can do to avoid it if possible).  I hope you find comfort soon!

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

cherg24
on 4/28/15 4:11 am, edited 4/28/15 4:42 am - Ontario, Canada

Yes u are correct in your spelling.  I'm a little foggy brain drugged up right now and forgot it in about oh ten seconds flat . Lol.  Unfortunately it's now also affected my ability to pee which was fine until yesterday.  Twenty four hours side that and the  pain is excruciating.  On the bright side all incision areas feel great!

LeslieT
on 4/28/15 4:10 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

That sounds awful. I hope they can resolve it in a way that isn't painful soon.

MeltingMindyLoo
on 4/28/15 5:11 am - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

That sounds dreadful.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I hope the doctors at your local hospital get you sorted out soon enough.  

Hooray for the incision sites feeling ok!

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

judyeliz
on 4/28/15 5:45 am
RNY on 04/24/15

OMgosh!  I am so sorry you are going through all this!  Hopefully they will get everything moving, and get you going soon! 

Take care,

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Most Active
Recent Topics