What a confusing appointment! lol

Ontario_Girl
on 5/4/15 4:08 am, edited 5/4/15 4:11 am - Canada

Has anyone ever had their files mixed up?? On Friday I went for my last appointment with the internist in Thunder Bay and they accidentally grabbed someone elses file. They did call me into the office by my full name so I didn't notice anything off. During my appointment she kept asking questions and some she asked over a few times because she said my answers in my first questionnaire about prior health issues didn't match up with my answers that day in the office. I even looked over to see what they were reading off of and the penmanship looked just like mine... lol. So finally leave the office and was told that I have a vit D deficiency and was given a script. I didn't even look at it, just grabbed it and left. So I drove home (I live 3hrs from the city) and about an hr out my cell went off. So I pulled over and answered it and it was the doctor saying she mixed up files and I didn't have a vit D deficiency but a vit A deficiency and will need to start those vitamins. Confused I grabbed the script she gave me and sure enough it was another ladies name on it. So I hung up and continued home. The next day at 2pm I get another call from the doctor saying there was another mix up and I do need a vit D prescription because my numbers were bottomed out. She hung up pretty quick so I couldn't clarify anything with her! So frustrating. I called the center and they are looking into it so I don't take the wrong prescription and I also asked them to make sure she documented my appointment into my file after she realized she did it in another persons file. Has this happened to anyone else??? I hope I don't have to make another trip to Thunder bay. When I left they told me all appointments required in office are done and I only have one left which will be will be my surgeon appointment that will happen via OTN when they get all the results from the sleep study and abdominal scan, so that it saves me the 6hr return trip. 

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

Patm
on 5/4/15 6:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is extremely unprofessional of this doctor. Most hospitals have a procedure to ensure they have the correct patient. I know at some of them they say your name and ask your date of birth. This doctor should be reported for incompetence

SmallPlates
on 5/4/15 8:19 am - Canada

Is there a Patient Advocate at your hospital? I would report it to them.

SmallPlates HW: 281 ~ Referral May 14 W 268 BMI 43 Bloodwork June 3  Orientation GGH June 4.  NP June 15 W 264 RD/SW July 7  Sleep Study KW Aug 4 Trio Aug 17  Cracving Change Sept Sept 10, 17. 24  Trio Oct 19 

Jiliana2
on 5/4/15 11:10 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Definitely... as the others said, this problem needs to be flagged with a patient advocate or other rep at the hospital. That could be downright DANGEROUS. Yikes.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Ontario_Girl
on 5/14/15 10:09 am - Canada

I sure will. Defiantly didn't think of it that way. The other patient was compromised too as the script given to me had ALL their info on it and contact info. 

Especially when she called me in she called me by my whole name. But then opened another file and continued on.

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

Most Active
Recent Topics