I am a little frustrated and need some thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/15 9:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

I know that this process is a long one. I get it. I know I have breezed through most of it but there is a situation that I am rather annoyed with. 

I did a sleep study voluntarily as I didn't want to wait until my nurse appointment just to be told to get the study which would delay things. I met with the nurse practitioner (patti at TWH) on April 13/15 and I passed onto her the record from my sleep study. She looked at it and said that she wanted to know the outcome of my follow up with the sleep doctor on April 20/15 and that she would then call me on May 12/15 for a telephone appointment. She also mentioned that she once the doctor told me whether or not I needed a mask that she would also require the results from the follow up sleep study with the mask.

so this is where I am rather annoyed and confused. Out of 7 friends that I know, none were even asked to have a sleep study and the few others that did, we're not required to provide the follow up results, just asked to bring the mask to the hospital when they had their surgery. 

I feel like as I am an adult I should be trusted that I will follow doctors orders and use the mask and bring the mask to the hospital. I am just not understanding why this is such an issue and why I need to be delayed. 

It also makes me question the entire process as I don't understand how people are chosen to have a sleep study and some are not. The friends of mine who have had the surgery have all indicated that they did not have to have their neck measured or anything, the nurse just asked a few questions about their sleep and that was it. 

Asiina
on 5/4/15 10:02 am

I understand the frustration, since you know that you will do everything the doctor asks, but there are a number of reasons they will want the followup.  The first is to make sure that the machine is working as it is supposed to.  Sometimes they have to be adjusted, and that's what the followup is for.  Mine wasn't for a second sleep study, but just to bring the CPAP in to the doctor and have them check the results from the first month of use.

I'm not sure why many of your friends didn't have a sleep study, as I was told that sleep apnea is one of the more common comorbidities with obesity, but having one and getting used to the mask if that's what you need is really very important.  Sleep apnea can be very dangerous if left untreated.

It may seem like a pain or just more delays, but remember that it's for your own safety and health for your surgery.

mum2TNT
on 5/4/15 10:41 am - Oshawa, Canada

I absolutely agree with Asiina.  I had already done a sleep study, and had received my CPAP machine by the time I saw the nurse and surgeon.  They just took the original sleep study and filed it.  I didn't have to bring back my follow up study with the machine.  I did, of course, have to bring the CPAP to the hospital with me.

I know this process is long, but believe me your time will come before you know it!  If you have your surgery before 1 year from your referral, you are doing well!  Your friends should have been asked about their sleep habits, it would have been safest, not sure why they weren't.....but good for you for bringing the sleep study to the nurse.  Maybe you can call the sleep study place and ask for any cancellations?  

Keep your chin up, this is not a race, and like I said.....that surgery date comes before you know it!!! HUGS

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

bonefish
on 5/4/15 10:40 am

Believe it depends on how they screen for sleep apnea.  There are a few different ways, maybe the different centres use different processes?

KerryF.
on 5/4/15 9:27 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Yes at TWH there was a questionnaire in the packet of forms which needed to be brought to the first appointment. the results of that questionnaire and the size of a person's neck is what determines the need for a sleep study. and in most cases they don't need to measure the neck they can just look to see the size.

But for what its worth while reading the original post I read between the lines that they weren't familiar with the sleep clinic that was used and they want to see the test results etc. not because they didn't trust the patient but because they want to follow up on the sleep clinic's diagnosis.

TWH booked my sleep test with their own clinic so they received the results directly from them. and perhaps thats the case for some of your friends as well.

try not to see the negative in the situation but the positive...... they are paying attention to you and your test results are important to them.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

W8_No_More
on 5/4/15 11:11 am - Kitchener, Canada

In Guelph we had to answer a short 'survey' and if we scored above a given amount a sleep study was required. I had already been through the process so just had to provide my final report from the doctor at the sleep clinic.

It really is important to treat sleep apnea if you have it...it's very dangerous not to and sleep issues slow down your weight loss and that's the last thing you want. Keep moving forward...it will all be worth it! 

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

LeslieT
on 5/4/15 8:46 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

I had something similar happen. I had my signatures from everyone to move forward to the post-op nutrition class when I didn't hear for the longest time. Then they called and asked for my records from the sleep doctor. I had already told the doctor everything when I saw him and brought my CPAP prescription but they didn't ask for it. So I sent them the prescription. Then they called back and asked for all the data from the machine. Like you, I have no idea why I was asked for all of this when all my friend had to do was tell them she had a CPAP. It is frustrating but there's really nothing you can do about it. 

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

Nanato2
on 5/4/15 9:37 pm, edited 5/4/15 9:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Not all WLS clinic are the same I went to TWH and they measured my neck especially since I had a big neck and I had to have a sleep study done and had to get a machine and was required to do a follow up before surgery. The reason they ask for the follow up is because the machine records the usage and it gets downloaded so they want the results to make sure you are on the right pressure and using the machine.

Just try and be positive you are getting frustrated because you are comparing yourself to others and trying to rush the process and are not trusting the people at TWH are doing what is best for you. Remember not everyone's journey is the same some of us have to have more tests than others for one reason or another.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Catw
on 5/4/15 10:45 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Each person's medical history/situation is different, so not everyone has to have the same tests done.  I did need a sleep study (which I passed with flying colours).  There are other tests that some need, and others don't as well, such has having a scope done.  I almost needed one, but based on answers I gave, I didn't have to.

As for why your friends didn't need to do a sleep study, it might be how they answered specific questions, and their current weight.

You may be asked for the follow up results based on something that the nurse saw in the results from your test that wasn't seen in the other's tests.  They may be monitoring something to see if it improves with the CPAP machine.

My suggestion is, if you are that concerned about it, ask the nurse when you talk to her on the 12th.

Cathy

Patm
on 5/4/15 10:46 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is great that you will follow-up and comply with what the doctor orders for you. Not all do. Some just get the test to try to circumvent the system. So if they do not know the clinic they need to know that you comply.

There is a lot of frustration through this process. They are dealing with a lot of people and trying to make sure that everyone makes it to the operating table in the best possible health. I know you see it as a delay but they see it as doing their due diligence.

Good luck and your time will come.

Most Active
Recent Topics