First real meal and feeling really good.

Asiina
on 5/6/15 7:23 pm

Today was my first day really going all out on "real" food.  3.5 weeks post-op and trying soft foods.  I found pureed food to be too gross, so I mostly just stuck with full fluids until now. Most of my meals were unremarkable (still mostly yogurt) but I tried making a real dinner.

Ground chicken meatloaf (based on the eggface recipe), 5 baby carrots, and 2 extremely small baby potatoes.  By the time I felt full I had had maybe 1/3 of the meatloaf, one of the carrots, and 1/4 of the potatoes.  

It's pretty crazy how fast I felt full, but it wasn't an unpleasant feeling like when I accidentally drink too much or too fast and get that pain right in the pouch, and it's not the bloated feeling I used to get sometimes (often) before surgery when I'd overeat.  It's a feeling of being content and satisfied and I'm so happy about it.  I'm starting to feel normal again but in a new way that tells me I'm not going to be a patient forever, but it's not going to be like how it was either.

Helna_Handbasket
on 5/6/15 7:55 pm - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Happy for you!  I'd click the "Like" button if there was one.  :)

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/15 10:12 pm

you're lucky. The first meal I had sounds like yours except the meatloaf- i had chicken.....but i threw mine up....A couple months later, I still eat very little but can keep chicken down now. I'm having a hard time with salmon, which is my favorite!!!! Over time, hopefully, it will get better.

Seyenna
on 5/7/15 6:04 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

My surgery was right around Christmas, so my first "meals" were a lot of blended and pureed carrots, turnips, etc. I found them to be very bland, so I used Da Vinci sugar free syrups to sweeten them a bit. Funny how now I can barely tolerate anything too sweet, lol. Good luck, it sounds like you're on the right track and doing well!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

new_gurl
on 5/7/15 9:21 am - Canada

Thank you for posting.  I am pre-op (1 week) and I am constantly worrying about everything...lol.  I love reading people's response to how thing s are going.  Thanks again for sharing :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics