Post Op increased heart rate and trouble standing

Amanda F.
on 5/21/15 10:33 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hello everyone. I had the gastric sleeve on May 11 and everything seems to be going well except when I stand/walk my heart rate increases and I get out of breath and need to sit down immediately. I thought this was normal after surgery but now it's been a week and a half and I still can't hardly walk to the bathroom without getting out of breath and dizzy. Has anyone had this before? The most I have been able to do is shower and even after that I am completely exhausted for the rest of the day. 

Thanks, Amanda

Asiina
on 5/21/15 10:56 pm

Hi Amanda,

You should definitely call your surgeon's office and tell them about your symptoms.  Have you had your 1 week followup? What did they tell you then?

I had some chest pain every time I moved around for about 2-3 weeks after my surgery.  It eventually went away on its own, but I did tell the doctor and they sent me for an ECG just in case, so you should follow up with them if only to rule out something more serious.

Amanda F.
on 5/21/15 10:59 pm - Oshawa, Canada

They could only schedule me 2 weeks after.  So my appointment is on Wednesday. I will call the doctor tomorrow. Thanks. 

Karen M.
on 5/21/15 7:15 pm, edited 5/21/15 9:28 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Amanda, this is not a normal part of healing from surgery at all. In fact, I suggest going to the ER immediately and contacting your bariatric surgeon/centre once you're there.

Edited to add:  Make sure they know that you had surgery on the 11th, the type of surgery you had, explain cutting away 85% of your stomach if they're not clear, and mention the word "leak". That will get them moving. Keep us posted when you're able.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

elliecat
on 5/22/15 3:33 am - Canada

Amanda go to emerg,those symptoms are not right! 

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

mum2TNT
on 5/22/15 6:31 am - Oshawa, Canada

Everyone heals differently but this doesn't sound normal hon.  I hope you have someone with you today and you can get some answers from the surgeon??? Please keep us posted HUGS

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Jiliana2
on 5/22/15 10:49 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Definitely not normal.

Two other things to consider would be hydration (are you getting enough water?) and blood pressure (do you take medication perhaps?). But yes, go to the ER. Mention the surgery. Get in touch with your centre and ask about testing for a leak. Something's amiss for sure.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Amanda F.
on 5/25/15 9:44 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hello everyone.  I just wanted to let you all know it was happening because of dehydration and I am feeling much better now. Much love.

Amanda

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/26/15 6:56 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I missed this when I posted. I had a feeling it was dehydration. Please take care. Dehydration could lead so so much more serious problems that spiral out of control and need medical intervention 

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/26/15 6:54 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

Very serious. get yourself checked. It could be dehydration, which is a very serious thing this stage of the game. It could lead to much more serious things. It could be more serious. Please take Karen's advice and get checked ASAP.

Most Active
Recent Topics