Hypoglycaemia or something else???

new_me180
on 5/21/15 4:13 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well I have breakfast everyday between 7:30 am and 8. Today was no different and i had egg salad on half a flat out light. I made it myself and  it consisted of 2 boiled eggs, 1tsp of regular mayo, mustard, onion, s&p and celery and i only used half the egg mixture. I ate it no problems and at around 10:30am i went to an appt at the mechanics. I had a cup of coffee, black with sweetener and i had my 3 1/2 cup water bottle that i was sipping on while i waited. At around 12:15am i was talking to the guy and all of a sudden i started to feel unwell. Everything around me went white, my hearing was going, i felt nauseous, warm and fuzzy all over like i was going to pass out. It was the strangest feeling ever.

I thought since it was almost my lunch time to maybe eat a slice of cheese. So, i started taking little bites of the cheese but was nauseated so i stopped for a while. I decided to go out for some fresh air but that made the situation worse. I though to eat the rest of the cheese thinking it was low sugar but that didn't work and the symptoms came back again with a vengeance and i felt i was dying, it was that scary so after 25mins of this and i wasn't getting better, i had the the guy call for an ambulance.

When the paramedics came 5 mins later, i had started to feel better but, still a bit woozy. They checked my vitals and BP 97/57, after 5 mins 85/49 and then manual was 96/56. ekg was fine, pulse was low 55-59 and blood sugar was 5.1. After another 10mins i felt better, not ok but not bad enough to go to the hosp. Visited my pcp later in the day and he doesn't think it was a glucose episode but, my inter cranial hypotension acting up. 

I think it was the former and was wondering if anyone here had any similar episodes? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/21/15 6:27 pm - Windsor, Canada

I think it was mostly blood pressure since it was so low.  You'll probably need to add some salt to your diet or reduce blood pressure ds if you are on any. 

Im not sure what cheese you ate and what if anything you ate with it but generally cheese will not bring up bloodsugar because most cheeses have 0-1 grams of carbs to it.  Your blood sugar may have bee starting to drop as well adding to the problem.  

Talk to to the centre 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

new_me180
on 5/21/15 6:51 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

It might have been, not sure now. I've had low bp since a few months after surgery. Never been high pre op so no meds there. Have been drinking regular broth everyday for a while and adding salt to my food as well. 

It was a kraft singles as i had not anticipated being out so long so i hadn't packed a lunch so the mechanic gave me a slice. I'm still a bit jitter hours after the event and i've eaten on schedule.

NewMe2.0
on 5/21/15 7:44 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Oh gosh Nia, must have been scary.  Your blood pressure does seem pretty low.  I hope you can figure out what happened, and that it doesn't happen again. 

Take care of yourself girl...

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

new_me180
on 5/22/15 4:38 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Vicky. Hope it doesn't happen again either. Pretty scary suff.

crqvingchange
on 5/22/15 6:44 am

Write down everything that happened including fluid intake, food etc. So that if it does happen again you can see if a pattern is forming. Don't forget to get those vitamins checked because you were getting tingling and numbness. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

new_me180
on 5/22/15 8:51 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks CC for the suggestion, will definitely do that. I did see my doc yesterday for the numbing and he's sending for nerve testing. He said it doesn't seem much more than a pinched nerve but, he's keeping an eye on it for sure.

Most Active
Recent Topics