Trans gastric ERCP

Robyn R.
on 5/23/15 4:21 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

Hi there, it's been awhile for me and I do apologize, just been busy living!  Until about 6 weeks ago when I ended up in ER with pancreatitis. I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum has had a trans gastric ERCP.  Dr Hagen has decided that it's time to go this route.

thanks for any feedback!

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

judyeliz
on 5/24/15 3:47 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I had an ERCP done about a month after my gall bladder surgery.  I was not getting better, still having a lot of pain, and liver enzymes were getting very high.  This was before my wls.  They found a stone in my pancreatic duct, and also stretched another duct that was not draining well.  After the ERCP, it was like magic, I started feeling better immediately.  The thing I am curious about is how they do it after RNY.  Normally the scope goes through your stomach to the duodenum where the ducts empty, and they can visualize the ducts and do any work that needs to be via the scope.  After RNY your anatomy is changed, I wonder how they gain access to the ducts.  I assume the duct openings are still on the part of the duodenum that is attached to the remnant stomach.  I am very curious how it would be done.  I was told at the time, that it is possible, I may end up with another stone in the bile duct, or may need it stretched again. Since RNY I have wondered how it would be done.  If you don't mind sharing, after the procedure, I would love to know.

Good luck with the procedure, you have a great doctor.

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Robyn R.
on 5/24/15 7:32 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Thanks Judyeliz. It involves laprascopic surgery to get the scope into the ducts post RNY. It is a combined procedure with the surgeons & the GI guys. My gallbladder came out in august & I've been having problems since. They had all kinds of answers but the real one. Needless to say I've been very frustrated. Rule of thumb, don't let the staff man leave the OR & place you in the hands of the fellow for gallbladder removal!  I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes. I've suffered long enough!

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Karen M.
on 5/24/15 7:42 am - Mississauga, Canada

I hope this solves the issue for you Robyn! I had a similar experience after having my gallbladder out - they figured a stone slipped out when they were removing it and it got stuck in the duct. Despite my arguing that an endoscopy wouldn't be effective due to my RNY, I let them do it anyway for the "told you so". lol Thankfully it passed on its own or I'd be in the same situation you are now. Speedy recovery to you. xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 5/24/15 8:01 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Hi Karen, Just wondering if you had the endoscopy done at your local hospital, because it seems that the bariatric surgeons would know, that to look at the ducts, it would have to be done surgically.  I have seen some discussions on other forums, that people do not like the idea of the "remnant stomach" left behind by RNY. They worry about developing ulcers or other issues with the stomach.  It is good to know that if any issues arise, they can look inside, look at the ducts, or look for other issues. 

This is another new piece of information that I learned from this forum, I love this forum. 

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Karen M.
on 5/24/15 8:17 am - Mississauga, Canada

Both the gallbladder removal and subsequent scope were done at local Trilliums. This was 7 years ago though and RNY guts weren't nearly as common. I'm sure the gastro knew full well the scope wouldn't go where it needed to go - he was beyond fascinated that I had RNY guts and wanted to have a look-see for his own interest. lol  As for the remnant stomach, another amusing anecdote - I had a bowel obstruction a few years ago and another gastro who had to scope and Xray couldn't get over the size of my remnant stomach (that thing is huge! lol). I'd happily get that sucker yanked out if necessary.

Karen

judyeliz
on 5/24/15 8:30 am
RNY on 04/24/15

LMAO!  You know I saw a picture posted, I think the sleeve forum, of a stomach they had removed from a man.  It was HUGE!  The size of a newborn.  I don't know if it is ok for me to post it here, so I won't, but needless to say, getting that "sucker yanked out" could be an easy 5 pound loss! 

Karen M.
on 5/24/15 9:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ohhh, I saw that too - it was on the main board. My first thought, after "ewww" was OMG, that sucker is huge!

Karen

judyeliz
on 5/24/15 7:48 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Very interesting, they do it laproscopically, as opposed to pre RNY where you just "swallow the scope".  It is good to know it can be done post WLS if necessary.  I hope the procedure fixes you, and you stop suffering, and feel better soon.

Take care,

Judy

Swiftrunbob
on 11/20/16 2:46 pm

Hi Robyn

Did you end up having the trans gastric ercp?

if so, any complications?

im having this surgery Wednesday 

Most Active
Recent Topics