Vomiting while eating

Asiina
on 5/24/15 6:31 pm

Sorry for the gross topic! I'm 5 weeks post-op and am generally doing very well with food.  I'm tolerating most things excellently, although I'm keeping carbs to a very bare minimum (no potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc).  But 3 times in the last few weeks I've been eating and within minutes of taking my first bite I'll have an uncontrollable urge to vomit.  I'll run to the bathroom and whatever I managed to eat will come right back up.

The weird thing is that after I wash my mouth out and wait a little bit I can go back to eating the exact same thing and it won't make me sick a second time.  All 3 times have been with food that I've was trying for the first time, but have had since with no issues, so I have no idea what is causing this. Am I just eating too fast or not chewing enough?  I try to be very careful.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Seyenna
on 5/24/15 7:22 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

You'll see a lot of posts on here about vomit and bowel movements, it's almost a norm! lol

It could be not chewing enough, eating too quickly, food is too dry, or the alignment of the moon in comparison to Mars. I find my pouch can be VERY touchy some days and others - not so much. I've never full out dumped yet, but I've been pretty ill one day over something that was 100% fine the next. Take care :)

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Karen M.
on 5/25/15 4:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

This is actually fairly common in the very beginning. It could have been eating too fast, not chewing enough, the texture of the food, your body rebelling at something new.... the list goes on. The "vomiting" like this is way different than we're typically used to pre-op - you don't feel "unwell", just that you need to get rid of whatever it is that's offending your gut.  Try eating slower and chewing longer - that was usually the culprit when it happened to me early out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Nikki101
on 5/25/15 6:27 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I had this almost daily  for nearly my first 3 months.... now it's slowed down.  I couldn't eat even the same foods. Or it eould make me vomit the first day it could reheat it and be fine. But I'd also vomit for 4 - 12 hours.

I had tests and they couldn't find anything wrong.   which is good news.  said it took me longer to heal and for the swelling to go down...

So maybe you're just a bit extra swollen? I also find now anything dry doesn't agree with me well.

Most Active
Recent Topics