Advice

Mas
on 5/25/15 2:29 pm

Had my final meeting with social worker in January.  Was told I would be contacted re next steps. Received an inquiry in February re one last test. That was completed in April.  I have called a few times but feel I am not getting any answers or direction. Folks are lovely to deal with at Ottawa but I'm frustrated because I haven't heard anything about pre surge class. Can I request a meeting with someone to get some clarification of next steps or do I just wait?  I don't want to be a pain. 

Karen M.
on 5/26/15 4:46 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think before requesting a meeting I would call again and say something like, "I apologize for calling again for an update on my case but for my own peace of mind, could you please give me some clarification and advice? (asking for help disarms people and makes them want to help you. Usually. lol) I had a test completed in April and I want to ensure the centre received the results of that."

Then, "Could you please advise me of next steps as I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly as I prepare for surgery." Ask them to be specific as to next steps and timelines and ask them at what point/date you should call again to follow up.

Good luck!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Drvn2skcede
on 5/26/15 7:20 am

I have called them a few times to "clarify next steps" and although I wasn't getting the answers I wanted to hear, they just kept saying "we'll call you".  And each person I spoke to gave me a different time line, but they all said that when I got the call, I would get the details I needed in that call.  So yeah I had to wait, but I did finally get the call and all the details I needed.  They really didn't mind when I called, but they didn't offer any more information than just 'wait for the call'.  I understand your frustration!  Don't worry about being a pain, my impression is that they have so many patients at various stages of the journey that they wouldn't remember you any ways and patients calling in to equire about the process is a norm for them.

One thing that I found they wouldn't do is to check my file to see where I was in the process., ie., to tell me if I could expect the call in the next few days or if I was still a month away from getting it etc.  So that's why I always just got very generic responses.  Perhaps you might get lucky and get someone who will actually go into your file to see where you stand. (ps., I'm in Ottawa too)

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Mas
on 5/26/15 2:21 pm

Thanks....good to hear from others on a similar path.  

Most Active
Recent Topics