Frustrated with Guelph

Nurs_T
on 6/26/15 9:43 pm - London, Canada

I dont' want to complain but I was so frustrated today with Guelph Hospital.  I have gone throught the Windsor center and completed everything everyone has signed off that i'm a good candidate for the surgery ive even completed my surgery orientation.  We were told there that we would hear from the surgeon within 4-6 weeks and if we hadn't heard from them to call them after 1 month to make sure they got our referal.  Its been a month, so I called.  The woman on the phone stated "when we recieve your referal we will call you and tell you that we have your referal and that we will call for your appointment in the next 2-3 MONTHS".  So I asked her "Have you recieved my referal because noone has called me and its been over a month since I finished everything in Windsor"  She was upset that I had the nerve to ask but she went and looked and sure enough they recieved my referral June 1st.  Noone called me and she still says it will be 2-3months before they call with an appointment to meet the surgeon!  I was given the impression by Windsor that from the date of your surgery orientation it would be about 2-3 months till your surgery date not your first appointment.  So waiting another 2-3 months for my first appointment is so frustrating.  I know the process is long, I started down this road in 2012.   I am one year smoke free have changed all my eating habits, have dropped 20lbs since my orientation in October.  I know its not much but it is for me.  I was just looking forward to having this done this summer.  Sorry for venting but i needed to get my frustrations out so that I can breath and move on. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/15 10:31 pm

Congrats and 1 year no smoking! and on the 20lbs, you should be happy. That's unfortunate about not getting a call, i'm sure you're bummed but I think summer has something to do with it taking so long, with holidays and everything. When you do get a call, ask about a cancellation list also.

It will be here before you know it, don't worry too much. The end result is you'll be so happy :)

crqvingchange
on 6/27/15 2:32 am

Vent away, that`s what we are here for.  Guelph can be s-l-o-w.  That is my Centre.  I really wish that they would be more upfront about the wait time so that people can plan better.  It was a year and a half from referral to surgery for me, but you have already done alot of the prework in Windsor so I`m hoping that you get an appointment soon with the surgeon.  Hang in there, and come here and vent when you need to, we`re here for you.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Carrielee
on 6/27/15 3:46 am - Canada

I too went through Windsor and am having my surgery in guelph. I did my surgery class on April 23 and I finally got a call June 19. I got my appt with the surgeon on July 8 with Dr Reed. I'm not sure when your surgery class was but they did tell me that because of the summer vacations for the surgeons that they were behind in booking people for their appts. I'm sure you will hear something soon. Hang in there I know how frustrating it can be. 

Evie_e
on 6/28/15 4:23 pm - Canada

Dr Reed was my surgeon and he was AMAZING!  Congrats!  He really made me feel like he cared and was there to take care of me. The surgery wont be too long after the surgeon appointment. Mine was 4 weeks....but it was early spring, you make a good point about summer and vacations!  :) 

Evie_e
on 6/28/15 4:24 pm - Canada

Dr Reed was my surgeon and he was AMAZING!  Congrats!  He really made me feel like he cared and was there to take care of me. The surgery wont be too long after the surgeon appointment. Mine was 4 weeks....but it was early spring, you make a good point about summer and vacations!  :) 

Carrielee
on 6/27/15 4:10 am - Canada

Also I'm not sure who in Windsor told u 4-6 weeks But at our surgery class on April 23 they were very clear that you do don't call Guelph unless you have not heard anything in 2 months. They actually called me a few days to the two month mark. It will be here before you know it. But I know it is hard to just sit and wait when you have worked so hard to get here. Good luck

Nurs_T
on 6/27/15 4:45 am - London, Canada

Thanks everyone!  I know my turn will come and I will be on the bench like so many of you before me.  I love this forum and read it almost daily.  It's such a help knowing and connecting with people who understand what your going through.  Friends and family may support you but they don't really understand.  So it's nice to have a place where no matter what, you feel welcome!  So Thanks again!!!

anewbodforme2015
on 6/27/15 4:10 pm - Canada

I too am waiting to hear from Guelph. I did my surgery class April 23rd also. I am going through Windsor. Though I believe my will be held up because of my sleep clinic took forever to give the results.

Most Active
Recent Topics