what do you know now that you wish you new in the beginning?

Andream33
on 6/27/15 4:41 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

what do you know now that you wish you new in the beginning? 

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/15 7:54 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I wish in the beginning the nutrition part had been a little clearer...perhaps more courses.  I found follow up visits with the nutritionist were well needed throughout this process to finally get it right.

I wish I had known..just learned recently that when my nose started running like crazy it was a sign that I had overeaten a bit and was very full....I now know it is a sign to stop..very useful tool.

I wish I had known how quickly my weight would change so I could have saved money on clothes throughout the process.  I learned maybe 6 months in buying more fitted styles was better.

Also, do not underestimate dumping syndrome and the importance of eating slowly.  1year, 2 months post op I realize reactions to both are still quite severe and not to be toyed with.

Everything else was pretty clear or was a good surprise like how awesome the experience was and how satisfied I am with the results.  

Kelly

Andream33
on 6/28/15 8:40 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

Thank you!

i am taking the weight wise modules right now. I do find they are helpful. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/28/15 3:26 pm - Windsor, Canada

There's a few pieces I've learned: 

do your own research.  My team for instance told me to take the wron form of calcium and I ended up osteopenic.  Although ontario generally gives good care they could do more in terms of vitamin education.  I have a friend who had been refused a bone mass density test referral because she's under the age of 40.  (I was 37 when I found out I was osteopenic). 

I wish I'd had more education on carbs.  My weight loss was very slow and I had to fight for every pound off, and I really feel that had I been told to limit my carbs (like other programs) I would have lost faster. 

Lastly, my program talked very little about psychological aspects of surgery and food issues. Ontario does an okay job with this but there needs to be more post op support.  Many fail because they do not take heed of the psychological issues with surgery. I'm a binge eater and dealing with that post op was hard once past the first year or two.  I see many others struggle severely with depression, sel. Image, eating disorders, alcoholism etc.  

So 3 pieces of advice:

research the heck out of your surgery.   Talk with veterans and learn from their success or struggles and get support - go to follow up appointments.  This surgery is not magic.  It's hard work life long!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Roma
on 6/28/15 3:42 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

This is very helpful advice!

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

kellybelly333
on 6/29/15 6:54 am - Toronto, Canada

I wish I knew how much of an advocate I would have to be for myself. I quickly learned, but I have a strong voice and because of that, I was able to ask the right questions about vitamins, about getting my panniculectomy, and when I had to have emergency surgery for my bowel obstruction, I was grateful to have the knowledge to go to my closest bariatric hospital. 

I also wish I had found the proper iron to take earlier. I have had 18 iron infusions, but i'm finally able to say that I have normal levels again. Hoping this stays, but our stores can drop easily. 

I wish I knew that the first six months would be the easiest, and the hardest. Easy because I didn't care much about food. I followed the program and lost most of my weight during this time. Hard, because I was so engrossed with food, that I didn't realize just how bright life could be. I left my marriage (that was failing for six years at that time), and didn't have food to fall back on for comfort. Again, i'm glad I have a voice, because I got in for head help via my centre. 

I think I knew my life would change...just never realized how much. It's much nicer to be healthier. But it's difficult to stay here. My love for food came back with a rampage, and I really have to fight it on a daily basis. I always have the hope, or the wish, that I would end up with a "normal" brain about food....but 4+ years later and my food issues are still there, and always will be. Use the tool, and you are golden.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Andream33
on 6/29/15 7:47 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

You guys are amazing. I am thankful for finding this forum. I am glad to hear the good the bad and the ugly. It's great to see so many people encourage strangers! 

You all have amazing stories! 

Thank you for sharing with us. 

Most Active
Recent Topics