Question about Constipation

photomkr
on 6/29/15 3:18 am

Hopefully this isn't a TMI question.

I just had my surgery on June 25th at Humber and have a couple questions about constipation. 1) how many days after your surgery should you expect to have your first bowel movement?  2) did anyone take laxatives due to constipation? 

Monica9811
on 6/28/15 9:26 pm, edited 6/28/15 9:27 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I was severely constipated after surgery. Was the worst part of the whole thing. Take 3 Senokot S pills with water and that should help. Don't let it go too long. I had to do that two days in a row before things moved and even then it was painful as hell. I still take them occasionally but thankfully I don't have to very often. Good luck. 

InMySights
on 6/29/15 5:11 am - Canada

I wouldn't do Senokot... you probably aren't allowed to take pills this early out unless they are crushed.  I had surgery end of April 2015 and had to take Milk of Magnesia... I took 2 separate doses and things moved along and I felt SO much better!

Now 9 weeks out - I still have issues, although I have a BM daily after my walk, it is a difficult task.  I've just started incorporating more fiber and that seems to have helped. 

OTTAWA:  Ref :Jan '14, Orient:Mar'14, NP- June '14, Nut/Beh.:Nov '14, NutClass :Jan '15, Surgeon:Feb '15, Surgery - April 23, 2015

Needanewbeginning
on 6/29/15 6:00 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

At humber we can take pills right out of surgery. 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Catw
on 6/29/15 5:43 am - Arnprior, Canada

I was about a week after surgery for my 1st BM.  It was too long, I took Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and a Ducolax suppository.  It wasn't fun, but it worked.  I know that once they are started, some have to take laxatives for a while.

Just make sure you keep hydrated, if you don't, it will make things worse.

Cathy

TES
on 6/29/15 7:35 am - Ottawa, Canada

I had a couple of "mini' BMs 4 days after surgery and then nothing for 5 or 6 days.  Milk of Magnesia worked after a few doses.  Then I "plugged up" again for about a week.  That required several doses of Colace and it eventually got things moving.  I still need to use it once in awhile.  If you are in discomfort and really feel the need to go but can't - talk to your doctor/nurse practitioner just to verify what they think you should use.

TES

Zizzler
on 6/29/15 6:39 pm

I was told I could take milk of magnesia only 2 days out when I had not gone in 3 days. It is disgusting tasting, I usually hold my nose to get it down.  And like someone else said lots of water. 

TaraB3660
on 6/29/15 8:05 pm

How did your surgery go? How do you feel apart from constipated? FYI senakot comes in liquid 

photomkr
on 6/30/15 12:46 am

the surgery went well. I had it at 8 am and was up and walking by late afternoon. The only part i found really uncomfortable was the gas pain but I started to pass wind by late in the afternoon  the day after surgery and by the next morning the horrible bloated feeling was gone. I am 5 days out now and everything seems good. Little to no pain, a bit of discomfort now and then but nothing serious. I haven't had problems with keeping full fluids down. I was in a bit of heaven when I had a couple of spoonfulls of vanilla pudding, after 4 weeks of optifast it was fantastic. 

the most incredible part is that i have reduced my diabetes meds and insulin by a huge amount. My insulin use is almost non-existent, down from about 350 units per day to about 5-8 units per day now. I have cut my metformin in half as well. If I didn't loose a single pound the surgery would have been worth it for that alone. I am hopefully my BS levels will remain were they are and perhaps with the weight loss I will be able to get off the insulin and metformin all together.

TaraB3660
on 6/30/15 4:25 am

That's amazing good for you. And thx for sharing. 

Most Active
Recent Topics