RNY post surgery pain compared to Gall Bladder post surgery pain??

Darbaybe_2014
on 7/2/15 5:01 am, edited 7/2/15 5:02 am - Kitchener, Canada

Hello everyone, I am having my surgery on July 14th.  Some Years ago I had my gall bladder removed and when I read how people have alot of gas and shoulder, neck pain after surgery it reminds me of when I had my gall bladder removed.  Question for those of you who have had both WLS and Gall Bladder surgery....Is the pain similar?  IS recovery similar?  If not what were the differences for you?  I know everyone is different but just curious!! 

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

mynderella
on 7/2/15 5:33 am - Ottawa, Canada

WLS pain is about 4 days of feeling awful and up to 4 weeks of tenderness (for me). Gall bladder was absolutely nothing comparatively.  

Myndy

Herecomeshealth
on 7/2/15 2:50 pm

I think it is pretty individual. For me I could not say I had any pain. I feel like saying I had discomfort is even an exaggeration. I have not had my gall bladder out so I can not compare.

Zizzler
on 7/3/15 5:10 am

I had the same question pre-op, so I hear what you are saying.  I had my gallbladder out years before rny.  I found gallbladder was easier because I could eat normally right away and there was fewer incisions than with the rny. Rny caused some gas pain at first.  Recovery time to go back to normal activity I found was longer than with gallbladder, maybe because it took a while to get my energy back due to eating small amounts of food.  However, I found that having had abdominal surgery prior did give me a good idea what to expect in terms of incisional pain and being careful not to lift etc.

Leanne1
on 7/4/15 5:42 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I had my RNY and 8weeks later, my gall bladder was taken out. Post-op GB was more pain then my RNY. (for me) 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Caroline K.
on 7/7/15 9:55 am

I'd have to agree with Leanne. I found more pain from the gallbladder removal due to the size of the main incision than the RNY. I was off the pain killers from RNY within a day or two, it took me a few more days for GB since sitting up/down pulled the large incision.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/15 10:55 pm - Pompano Beach, FL

If you are still feeling the pain you can opt for some home remedies. Here you will get some information regarding this.

rhttp://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-article s/natural-options-for-an-inflamed-bladder

Lolabug
on 7/22/15 7:12 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

I found that the gall bladder pain was far worse than the RNY. Recovery in terms of pain meds was quicker for RNY. I was actually surprised at the difference.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics