Meeting with proffessionals

fiercebynature
on 7/23/15 8:01 pm

Hello, this may be posted somewhere but when you meet with each professional ( nurse, social worker etc)

What questions do they ask?

Is there anything I can do or should do to prepare?

Just generally what was it like?

If you feel comfortable sharing I would love to hear the details, I'm curious.

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/15 8:24 pm - Mississauga, Canada

What hospital are you having surgery out of? I am at TWH so my answers are specific to that hospital.

1. social work- asked about family, support you will have after surgery, if you experienced any abuse or traumatic events as a child, etc. 

2. Dietician- family history (aka do the rest of your family struggle with weight), what your eating habits are, what to expect on Opti, after surgery, etc. 

3. Nurse- she asks about your medical history, family medical history, takes your BP, checks your stomach, measures you and weighs you. 

4. Psychologist- pretty much the same as the social worker. Maybe more indepth about abuse and any mental issues. 

5. Surgeon- the nurse talks to you, gives you the Opti order form, the date of your surgery, takes toir BP, weighs you and then you talk to the surgeon briefly. 

Hope this helps!

tatirod
on 7/23/15 8:53 pm - Toronto, Canada

Mellybelly summed it up perfectly.

personally, I thought a lot about my reasons for why I wanted surgery. What did I expect, why do I think this is the best option for me, etc. that is just because I personally freeze up in interview type situations, and I was afraid I would sit there staring blankly at them. 

After my first appointment, I was much relieved. It's really not that bad. They just want your background so there are no surprises down the road or special precautions you may need.i happen to take a lot of antiinflammatory medicine for another disease, so that may affect which surgery I get.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Drvn2skcede
on 7/24/15 5:41 am

I'm out of Ottawa and I understand the role of the professionals is pretty much the same here as what MellyBelly outlined.  I'll add to the Nurse description (as that's only as far as i've got so far).  She also seemed to 'triage' me a bit in the sense that she made notes or 'flagged' what she suspected I may need in the future (ie., she flagged to the SW that a psychologist visit may be needed and also flagged that an endoscopy may be needed).  She also went through the blood work results extensively and made recommendations for vitamin changes based on the BW and if the results would have shown a need for a medication change, I'm sure she would have dealt with that as well.  She seemed to be the first point of 'medical' contact to direct the path going forward.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

fiercebynature
on 7/24/15 10:55 am

Thank You so much for all your information. I don't know where I will have the surgery as I have just been referred.

I am constantly thinking about it so it is so helpful to have your information and to know there are those I can ask.

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

Most Active
Recent Topics