Going home from hospital, how much help do you need?

B-Trix123
on 7/27/15 6:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

I live by myself and have asked many times by health care workers -- who is taking me home and who is taking care of me once there. I did call the social worker to ask for clarification about the level of home care needed -- hoping that they don't kick me to the curb too soon. My GP told me to hire a medical professional to help me at home. Why should I be expected to hire someone? My siblings do not accept me having surgery - but insist they will participate. Best I can hope for is that they won't sabotage. Do you need someone to sleep over a couple of nights? I do have neighbours who will check in -- one being a nurse.   

highlandbear
on 7/27/15 6:54 pm - Canada

My husband worked days and long hours when I had mine and I was home during the day alone and I was fine. the second day at home I started to go for walks outside not far but I was doing it. Even when he did get home from work I did not need his help. You just need time to heal and no one can help you with that. A friend of mine was nice and made up some soup that was puree so I could freeze it and have it when I got to that stage. I used ice cube trays to freeze it which was the perfect amount. You will be fine alone. The first day home just have a neighbor come over to make sure you are OK. You will do great and don't worry. 

B-Trix123
on 7/27/15 7:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

I thought so highlandbear. Hope to be back up in Haliburton (Algonquin) Highlands not too long after!

tatirod
on 7/27/15 7:27 pm - Toronto, Canada

You know I'm pre-op and probably shouldn't comment. However, some people can't help themselves. here are a couple thoughts that came to mind...

if, God forbid, a complication occurs then having someone there able to call 911 if you can't is a good idea. I'm sure the chance is like 1:2000 or less.

second, can you take care of your dogs? I think finding a dog sitter is essential for a good week post-op. When I go out of town, I use this site http://dogvacay.com/ If interested, I can tell you who I have used.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

B-Trix123
on 7/27/15 9:44 pm - Toronto, Canada

Not to worry Tatirod - doggies will have best of care from my sister. 3 acres of fenced in squirrel chasing fun! Hope to have them home with me by day 2 or 3.

Cordless phones will be tethered to my jammies (likely night gown).

tatirod
on 7/28/15 4:59 am - Toronto, Canada

Gee, I might go to your sister's too. :)

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

betony63
on 7/27/15 7:44 pm

I live on my own too and didn't find I needed any help. My family called regularly to see if I needed anything though. Maybe keep your phone close at hand but I'm betting you will be just fine 

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Seyenna
on 7/27/15 10:13 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm a single mom of 3, the kids are mostly self sufficient so I was able to care for myself. I find I didn't need much help, just lots of rest. I was tired for weeks and went back to work after 2. I feel like I should have taken a full month because I'd get off work and fall right to sleep but that passed after a while.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

B-Trix123
on 7/27/15 10:26 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have a home office... can pace myself and my work. Feelin' crappy? Take a nap! Just a small task to do online one week post op. So thankful I don't have a commute to deal with. I have been very ill in the past (lots of lengthy hospital stays) - so expect I will cope. Just relieved to hear everyone's response here!

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/27/15 10:21 pm - Canada

I know we are all individuals - I have only been home for just over 1wk.  I would say if your mobility is good pre-op, you will likely have no trouble being at home on your own.  After the first day- I felt perfectly fine.  Perhaps a little slower than usual, maybe a little tired......but just fine!!!  Having a friend to call on if needed will probably do the trick.  :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics