Surgery August 5th TEGH

Crispy
on 7/27/15 11:43 pm - Canada

This is the first time I have posted since joining but I figured with surgery a week away I am going to need some moral support for those who have been there ( or going there).  I am nervous already. I have got a week of Optifast in and it has not been that bad.  I did cheat and eat a carrot once.  One more week of Optifast and then the surgery. 

How painful is this surgery?  What can I expect? 

northernga1
on 7/28/15 8:27 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

i am 6 week post op today, the pain is more from the gas then anything (or was for me anyways) im not going to lie it was pretty painful the first few days.  But the sooner you get up and walking the better it is.  Walk as often as you can even just short little walks to and from the bed to the washroom keeping things moving and not getting stiff is what helped me.  I was painful getting in and out of bed for the first 2 weeks. i stopped all pain meds after a few days because they were making me have major nausea.  Listen to your body and good luck with surgery.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/28/15 11:38 am - Canada

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!  My RNY was July 17th, so memories are still really fresh.  I found that the IV pain meds in the hospital took away virtually all the pain.  I had surgery late in the day- got to my room in the evening, and was up walking with no problem the next morning.  With that said...the pain meds seem to last about 4hrs- and I could definitely feel it when it was approaching 4hrs.  Tylenol syrup with codeine was what was prescribed for home.  I only had to use a small amt twice.  I experienced only mild tenderness after that.  I did walk a lot though.....they say that is helpful. Good Luck !!!!

HKT53
on 7/28/15 6:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

Mine was July 10. I gotta tell you my surgeon saw me on the 23 and he was astonished how tall I walked and how nice me complexion was. He said I was just radiant. It's the gas that gets you down but only a few days. I didn't have to take meds except when I came home I took a natural sleep support Melatonin. Only because I can't get used to sleeping on my back but couldn't even lean toward any side. Everybody advised that soon the gas will just be a memory. It's true, I feel great. I never refused pain meds at hospital so I was never in so much pain I couldn't walk twice a day along the hall. Walk gets the bowls moving and the gas dissapating. You are going to be fine. Let us know how you are doing when you get home.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery

Crispy
on 7/29/15 8:45 am - Canada

Thank you for your replies- I find it really does help to know what to expect.  I am nervous and excited and overwhelmed all at the same time.  I am so anxious to start my new life.  I had to work to get my blood sugar down before the surgery so I had lost about 20 lbs during that process and now with the optifast I am into already into clothes that I have not been able to wear for years.  I already feel so much better.  I know this was the right decision. It would be interesting to know if anyone ever regretted this life changing decision.  I feel like I have been given the greatest gift and I am so grateful to be having this done.

Most Active
Recent Topics