What were your biggest struggles post-op?

Drvn2skcede
on 7/30/15 8:36 am

Hey all, pre-op here just trying to get a feel for what things I should be preparing for post-op.  One question I have is what did you find were your biggest challenges once you had your surgery?  I am preparing a file with food ideas for all the various food stages (thanks goes out to the ladies that contribute to the what are you eating today forums), also the recommended vitamins and places to buy them, ways to make opti taste better, bariatric website resources etc., in an effort to minimize the eating challenges post-op and what not (the file is quite extensive now), but wondering if people faced other challenges besides "what can I eat, this food doesn't sit well with me" or "I can't take this vitamin, where can I get another source". What other struggles did you face? What did you wish you had done pre-op in preparation that you didn't do?

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Meggles07
on 7/30/15 11:29 am - Canada

This may sound funny, but one of my struggles has been finding a good water bottle -- I have worked my way up to 2L a day, but between not being able to use a straw (one of my centres rules), having a clear bottle to see my progress, and finding a bottle that doesn't leak when I carry it around, I have bought about 2-3 different bottles, and ended up using the crappy plastic bottles you buy at the corner store.  I hate not having a good reusable one that I really like.

I have also struggled with finding a good menu to carb balance.   Not something I had to worry about at first, but I'm finding it more important as I get further out (I'm about five months out now).  I have been good with grocery shopping, meal planning, packing my lunch/dinner/snacks, traveling, going to the gym, etc. I have also become addicted to Pinterest for finding new and exciting bariatric friendly recipes (or ones I modify myself).  But recently I had to buckle down and really cut things like crackers out of my daily meals -- MyFitnessPal was helpful for this.

I'm trying to think back to the first couple weeks post op -- my mom stayed with me for a week or two.  Post-op I had a week of clear liquids, and three weeks of full fluids.  I remember being tired, and starting to feel hungry towards the end of each stage, and then really really looking forward to being able to add in new things.  Now things seem so normal (the new normal) I can't really remember what it was like :)

Hope this helps.

Meg~

Seyenna
on 7/30/15 12:51 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Water, in general. I still sort of struggle with the whole 30 minutes between eating and juggling all of the vitamins. My thyroid pill has to be taken with no food or water and not within 3-4 hours of anything else. What do you do with that? It's the first one I take, then 3-4 hours later I take a protein shake, water, calcium, etc.. 

I miss chugging water. I can sip faster now than I could a few months ago.. but I miss gulping down a cold bottle of water in just a few gulps LOL

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/30/15 9:42 pm - Canada

Hi. I'm in week 2 post-op.   In the beginning, .....getting your pills, protein and water in is pretty much a full time job.  I don't think you can really prepare for that.  

One thing that I DID do pre-op that I would highly suggest to you is to find a support group in your local area if possible.  I started to go a few months before my surgery.  I find it soooo helpful and comforting to be in a room surrounded by people who are just like you and that are focused on staying on track and helping each other along the way.  It's really awesome!!  You can never have enough resources for advice and information when you go walking down this " crazy road" .  Lol.    :)

LeslieT
on 8/2/15 8:38 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

My biggest struggle has been pooping - seriously. I've had fairly regular constipation from about 2 weeks out. I am doing everything my doctor suggested to help it and it has gotten better recently. 

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics