Claiming Plastic Surgery on Income Tax

cutekatie
on 8/20/15 5:16 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

I am wondering if anyone has any information about claiming plastic surgery costs on their income tax.

I did that last year and was asked to send in documentation. I did that but it was denied and I was told that they only qualify "if they are required for medical or reconstructive purposes."

I'm very stressed about this and looking for info.

I will be calling CRA tomorrow, as well as stopping in to the plastic surgeon's office to see if they can give me some other documentation.

thanks in advance.

Katie

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/15 5:26 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The rules did change a few years back.  When I had mine done, it was still deductible and of course they still wanted proof.  Can your surgeon not make a case that it was medically necessary. I had to get my surgeon to write a letter as to why I had to make trips to Toronto to get my band filled numerous times per year and they accepted his letter as medical proof that I needed that.  If you had rashes or infections, etc, he could use that or if the excess skin interfered with the enjoyment of your life that could be a reason. 

Jessica S.
on 8/21/15 4:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

Yes it is still deductible I know lots of people that still do it, hell I know chick got implants and got thousands back.

cutekatie
on 8/26/15 5:00 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

According to CRA is it no deductible anymore unless you can prove that it is medically necessary. I had to ask the surgeon to write me a letter and I will send it into CRA.

I will owe $3000 if it is not approved, which is very upsetting to me.

NorthernStar
on 8/26/15 6:59 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Oh no! I hope it all works out. In my experience, the CRA are not medical experts and are usually just looking for proof/support. If you surgeon wrote an official letter, it should be sufficient. If you have any additional supporting evidence in your medical records, pictures, things like that, that can always be sent in on appeal. I don't think they are out to get you, your file likely just got randomly pulled and they need some additional info to support it.

I'm sure it's nervewracking waiting in the meantime. Best of luck!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

cutekatie
on 8/27/15 4:03 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

Thank you for the kind words. My mom who does my taxes files them electronically and says that when there is a bigger claim then normal you are normally audited. She does my dads taxes and they don't say anything about his $20000 drug claim but the year he got orthodontic work that cost $5000 they demanded proof.

This is a note/lesson for others on here who are planning on getting plastic surgery and have to pay out of pocket that when you submit to CRA get a letter at that time.

Most Active
Recent Topics