Question about Iron

judyeliz
on 9/3/15 9:22 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I have searched the forum for answers, but there is just so much information, 

The dietitian from Humber just left me a message that my serum iron is low.  She wants me to take 300mg of ferrous sulfate with 500mg of vitamin C daily at bedtime.  I have been taking a prenatal with iron since surgery, was taking two a day up until a month ago when she told me I should only take one.  That iron was obviously doing nothing for me, as now my iron is low.  I don't know the lab value yet but will get copies when I go to my FP next time.  Only four months out from surgery and low iron already worries me. 

My question is, I don't really want to take the ferrous sulfate as I don't need anything constipating me, or hard on my insides.  I think I took that iron years ago before I had a hysterectomy, and I could barely tolerate it then, made me feel so sick.

I would like to take something that I could pick up at Shoppers, or maybe order online, if anyone has any suggestions.  I know that only a small percentage of the ferrous sulfate is elemental iron, so I assume I would just have to take the equivalent to what is in a 300mg sulfate pill.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Karen M.
on 9/3/15 11:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi Judy,

I can recommend two different iron pills to you: FeraMax (polysaccharide iron) or Proferrin (heme iron). I have taken both and neither have bothered my gut at all, unlike the gawd-awful Palafer and the like - BLEAH. Both of these iron supplements are effective, easy on the gut, and don't have the same restrictions on when you can take it/with what, etc. Both are available at the pharmacy - pricy but effective.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 9/3/15 12:01 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Thanks Karen, I am thinking I will try one of those.  Do you take vitamin C with this type of iron?  I will probably try the less expensive one first, then when I get 6 month labs done, if it is still low, probably try the other.  I am hoping it is just a transient thing due to my "leaky artery".  

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Karen M.
on 9/3/15 3:10 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It never hurts to take vitamin c with iron. :)

Karen

charminglearner
on 9/4/15 7:03 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Our bodies need vitamin C to absorb the iron. 

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 12:48 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Are you advising me of this, or..... ?

If so, I'm well aware of "what our bodies need", thank you. Hence me telling the OP that "taking vitamin c with iron" is good.

Karen

charminglearner
on 9/4/15 8:33 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Oh my goodness Karen, I wasn't advising you. I was trying to be supportive to the original poster.  Maybe I posted in the wrong place?

Shirls124
on 9/6/15 9:05 am - Canada

Wow Karen you're really on a mean spirited roll these days. Sheesh.

Laura in Texas
on 9/5/15 10:18 am

Proferrin is heme iron and does not need Viamin C to be absorbed.

http://www.proferrin.com/learning-center/health/vitamin-c-an d-iron-absorption.html 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RidingFan
on 9/3/15 6:08 pm - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

You can get Feramax at Costco and they also have a generic substitute that is cheaper.  I break open the capsules and take in a bit of warm water.  No taste. Follow with chewable vitamin C.

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics