surgery tomorrow, afraid more of post op than surgery itself

This G.
on 8/31/15 5:05 am - Canada

My surgery is tomorrow with Dr. Hagen and my cold feet have somewhat gone away.

Honestly, I am not afraid of surgery, I am afraid that I will permanently alter my body, follow all the rules and still see no results. I just did the app on here that says "how much weight will you lose" and it keeps coming back at 0. Did it a few times, what the hell!

I used to box, kickbox, bjj... ect. I worked out for around 4-6 hours a day eating healthy and i could never get lower than 200, and as soon as i decreased the workouts my number would pop right back up. My Dr. has been telling me for years this is my only line of defense so here we go. I hope that I am not making a mistake.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 8/31/15 5:09 am - Canada

I feel exactly the same as you!!!  I haven't been below 200lbs since like grade 9.....  Closest I ever got was 220!  I've lost 12lbs on Opti, and am happy about that, but still nervous!!!!

Referral: May 2014 Orientation: Sept 26 (HRRH): 1st Surgeon Appt: Feb 13 (Sohi @ HRRH) : Dietician/Social Worker/RN: March 25, 2015  Dr. Glazier - May 12, 2015  2nd Surgeon Appointment (Dr. Hagen) - June 1, 2015 -  Start Opti - August 19, 2015 - SURGERY SEPTEMBER 1, 2015  - HW 270lbs OW - 256.6 SW: 244.6

Monica9811
on 8/31/15 5:52 am - Peterborough, Canada

If you follow the rules you will see a 1 in front of your number in no time. Just trust the process. Don't freak out when you hit a stall. Get all your protein vitamins and water in and exercise!  You will be amazed. Good luck tomorrow. 

DigbyFrifri
on 8/31/15 6:31 am

Just follow the plan  you will suceed!!    Make sure to walk as soon as you can after surgery.   The sooner you get the gas out the quicker you feel better!   Good luck

Catw
on 8/31/15 7:03 am - Arnprior, Canada

The fear that you are feeling is normal.  I was like that too.  Going into surgery I had two fears, one that I would be canceled and rescheduled and two that I wouldn't be able to keep to the plan.  I'm now over 4 years out, and I've lost about 140 lbs.  It does work as long as you keep to the plan.  You will experience stalls, but it will come off.

I wish you well on your journey.

Cathy

This G.
on 8/31/15 7:06 am - Canada

THanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

how long after surgery were you allowed to start working out again? 

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

Catw
on 8/31/15 7:56 am - Arnprior, Canada

You can start walking same day. And I think it's 4 weeks before you can progress on. I'd wait until you get your surgeon's OK for anything more than walking.  If any of your workouts include water (i.e. swimming, aquafit) you can't go into a pool until your incisions heal completely (no leaks).  A lot will depend on you listening to your body.  It will tell you when it's ready, and you want to make sure you heal well.

Cathy

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/31/15 12:09 pm - Canada

My clinic suggests 6-8 wks for activities other than walking.  I love to golf, shoot archery, play tennis, zumba...all of which had to wait.  It was a loooonnggg wait!!!  I'm 7 wks now and just starting to incorporate some of these things back.

Like Catw said......it's a lot of "listen to your body" , you don't want to risk messing up things internally even though you feel great on the outside!!    

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

elliecat
on 8/31/15 12:24 pm - Canada

I'm worried about the after too!!!! But we CAN do it! We will do it! Next year at this time you will be looking back and wondering why you , doubted yourself......

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

northernga1
on 8/31/15 1:06 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

good luck with surgery tomorrow.  I think we've all had those feelings at some point.  I waited 8 weeks to do anything other then walking.  The first few weeks put your scale away all you'll do is drive yourself crazy with the numbers.  Take a measuring tape out and start to measure yourself weekly instead.  

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics