One month follow-up appointment at TWH

McCall
on 9/2/15 2:33 pm

I had my one month follow up today. It went well. I am down 39 lbs since Opti started on July 13. My blood pressure is good and Meds have already been reduced. Incisions are good. The nutrition class was great and served as a reminder of some important things I have been struggling with. 

Funny enough, the dietician commented that she saw a patient who said she wasn't eating fruit as she was told on OH that it isn't good for you. The dietician laughed and said that it is entirely incorrect and that fruit is part of a balanced diet. 

Karen M.
on 9/2/15 2:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Great news at your appointment, good for you!

I don't think anyone said "fruit isn't good for you". Fruit is wonderful in moderation. Fruit is not wonderful when it replaces the essentials as a post-op (protein) and even less wonderful when someone eats 4 bananas per day and blows their sugar and carb counts off the charts.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/15 4:49 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

First thing you need to know is that the dietitians are bound by having to recommend the Canada Food Guide.  They can't say anything other than that or they lose their licence.  It's sad but true that these people are the ones coaching us as to what is good and bad for our post op bodies yet they are regulated to follow the good old Canada Food Guide which is for normies not us.  I always take everything they say with a grain of salt as I know this tidbit.  I used to work for a WLS surgeon and that is what the RD told me, it's that or they lose their licence.

bonefish
on 9/3/15 2:38 pm

No disrespect intended, but this is 100% not true. Take a look through Twitter or Facebook at all the nuts who actively advocate against the food guide. For example does your dietitian tell you to drink juice? It's in the food guide!

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/15 2:52 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

NUT and RD are not the same. RD are governed by their college just like nurses are. I don't do twitter and I don't read anything from anything in the US as it doesn't always apply to us here. I worked for a weight loss surgeon so why would his RD lie to me. As for juice the Canada Food Guide has fruit and fruit juices together so of course they say x number of fruits and vegetables and we decide which ones we eat from that group. 

bonefish
on 9/3/15 4:54 pm

You know I meant RD, we all do when we say "nut" here. The centres only employ RDs since "nutritionist" can be anybody, no training required.  I don't know why the RD would lie to you but they were wrong. I don't know about you, but I've never once been told I had to have X servings of something. My RD specifically told me I don't need to include dairy if I don't like those products. Do you seriously think she'd lose her license for telling me that?

Would this RD post something like this on her professional site if it meant she'd lose her license?

http://abbylangernutrition.com/6-things-you-should-know-about-dietitians/

Anyway, to the OP, clearly she was talking about meal balance. Karen's point is well taken but the question was about avoiding fruit altogether!

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 7:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I wasn't saying Karen wasn't correct. As a matter of fact her and I often agree. I am 10 years post op and have dealt with many dietitians over the years and have been told the same by all of them. Eat more carbs. We want you to eat xx number of fruits and vegetables and xx number of grains. So yes I have been told to eat according to the cfg repeatedly by many different RD. 

As as for your link I have no idea who she is so why would I believe her over the ones I have actually worked with. Many people have come back from their appointments being told to eat 120 grams of carbs and 60 grams of protein. Maybe that works for some but not most. 

I am smart enough to know my own altered body after 10 years and more carbs than protein doesn't work for me. I even did a test for two separate RD to eat the carbs they wanted me to eat and the protein they wanted me to eat for two weeks and each time I gained weight. Both could not understand it and I was very honest in my food logging and they didn't know what to say as I shouldn't have gained but I did. 1300 cals made up of one thing vs the other doesn't work for my body. 

I eat fruit in moderation but never eat the amount they suggest I eat. 

bonefish
on 9/4/15 9:22 am

I wasn't trying to argue with anything said except the "required by law" part. I have met RDs who follow the food guide and several who don't.  The link I posted was only to illustrate the she in fact could not post that statement if it meant losing her license.  Besides, the food guide isn't designed for us and isn't appropriate for all people so how could it be followed like gospel? I just think some RDs are old school, some aren't.

I get what you're saying about carbs and 1300 calories of one thing not being the same as 1300 of another.  No argument there.

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 9:32 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

And my point about that link is that I don't know who she is and have no idea if she truly is an RD. Anyone can create a website. Perhaps you know her personally but since I don't I am still going to believe what the one I know personally has told me and my own personal experience with many RD over the past ten years and they all preach the same crap. You need more carbs or your mental faculties will diminish. I shut the last one up by saying this is how many carbs I have eaten daily for six months and is there anything wrong with my mental faculties. 

The whole point of my original post to the OP was about how they promote the food guide and always tell us to eat more carbs. So in other words I was telling her to take it all with a grain of salt and make her own decisions based on her own experiences and research. 

bonefish
on 9/4/15 9:36 am

Don't know her but I guess I'm not so cynical. She can't just call herself an RD any more than I can call myself a doctor. That actually is against the law so I'm quite sure she isn't a fake on an online professional site. Agree with your comments otherwise. 

Most Active
Recent Topics