Requesting time off work - big gulp!

Kim T.
on 9/3/15 5:58 am - Canada
RNY on 09/29/15

Need some advice.  I am seeing Dr. Hagan today to sign papers for Oct.29th surgery.  I am at a new job that is 1 wk short of my 3 month probation period which I see no reason to not pass successfully.  We are expecting a very busy time around the same time as the surgery and I have no idea how much time to request off work in advance.  Assuming there are no complications, can I expect to go back to work (office work, mainly sitting at a desk, jumping up and down to see to customers) the day after I'm released from hospital?  Or am I being overly optimistic?  When I saw Dr.Hagan the first time he said some people work right away, others take time if they have it.  In my case, I don't have it... Would appreciate your comments and hear what you experienced.  thank you

roxytrim
on 9/3/15 6:34 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I would say no...not right after surgery.  You still need to be competent on the job right? You will be in a brain fog for a week - you need to give it at least that long, unless you are superhuman.

Helna_Handbasket
on 9/3/15 6:40 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Good morning!  Each person I think (from what I'm gathering from reading posts) is that our healing time/pain tolerance is really individual.  I myself have a job at a college that has me doing much the same as you.  I had hoped to be back 2 weeks after surgery.  Yeah that didn't happen.  I'm off till Sept 21st.  By the time I return I will have missed the 8 busiest weeks of the entire year.  But, that's just the way it is.  Me first for once.  I also have the luxury of having sick leave for the duration - my pay is reduced significantly, but its enough to cover mortgage and bills.  Anyway, I'm rambling.  I know that I would not have been able to go back to work right away.  Discomfort, tiredness and just eating prevented that.  Can you go to 1/2 days for a wee bit?  Flex your hours? 

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Catw
on 9/3/15 6:55 am - Arnprior, Canada

I would strongly advise not going back to work the day after you get out of hospital.  Your body will be recovering from major surgery.  You will be tired, and if you do not let your body rest, it will have a harder and longer time healing.  If you commute, you may have issues with bumps in the road (literally).  You will also be learning new routines, not just with eating, but with your body as well.  There are some who go back after 2 weeks off.  And they can do it but it's tiring.

If you were working from home, and can make your own schedule then you might be able to work the day after.  But I'd suggest 2 weeks if you are not working at home.

Cathy

TES
on 9/3/15 7:01 am - Ottawa, Canada

Realistically, you will not be able to go back to work the day after your hospital release.  You will be exhausted, in some discomfort and will need to lay down and nap quite frequently.  This is major surgery and your body is going to need time to recover.  Trust me, you will NOT be able to do full-time work after only a couple of days.

Best case you could go back after 1 week, if they would let you leave early if needed.  At the very least, I would try for 2 full weeks off.  Ottawa, recommends 4 weeks and I took all 4 and am glad I did (even though I was rarin' to go by the end of the 3rd week).

Good luck!

TES

Roma
on 9/3/15 7:02 am
RNY on 06/15/15

No offence intended, but I wouldn't say that timeline is "overly optimistic ", more like extremely unrealistic to the point where I am shaking my head. 

I know you are in a tough spot with the new job, and don't have any advice for managing that. .. but your body will have gone through a complete rerouting of a major organ. You'll be in pain, exhausted, unable to eat, barely drink and stay on top of vitamins. It took me 2 weeks post op before I could walk to the end of the block, and that was hanging on to my husband for dear life.

This surgery is a wonderful step for you and your health, and the beginning of a lifetime of self care. Take enough time to heal properly.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

meowface
on 9/3/15 7:03 am - Canada

All you can do is hope your employer will not give you to hard of a time, and I hope they don't for you.

At TWH they asked me if I was able to take 4-6 weeks off, which I am, and gave me the impression that if I couldn't then I wouldn't qualify for surgery. I'm approved till Sept 22 which would make 4 weeks at which time I can return to work modified (4-6 hour days) for 2 weeks then back to normal. I can however still take the last 2 weeks off I'd just need my doc to fill out another medical report. I work from home mostly so I might just go back. I'll see how I feel around Sept 22

I wish you luck and remember your health is most important!

Orientation @TWH Jan 26 2015 // Social Worker March 9 2015 // Nurse Practitioner March 11 2015 // Psychology April 28 2015  // Nutrition Class May 19 2015 // Dietitian June 9 2015 // Meet Dr.Penner July 3 2015 // OptiFast start Aug 5 2015 // Surgery @ TWH August 25 2015!

B-Trix123
on 9/3/15 8:40 am - Toronto, Canada

The day I left hospital I took my prescriptions to my pharmacist. I stood there with a straight face and told him I just had "geriatric" surgery (removal of old parts???). That was a clear sign to me to take it easy. I am 3 weeks post op and still lightheaded (dehydration, I think). I won't toddle off anywhere by myself unless I know where seating is readily available to me. I know I would not manage with public transit or large crowds.

Managing food, supplement and fluid intake may take you a few days to get it down pat. Do you have a plan to manage this in the workplace?

I work from home and did some work 5 days post op. I am only doing what I know really well, not taking on new challenges or preparing any big quotes. Having the option to nap is great. Pushing yourself may only result in a bigger set back, so listen to your body and proceed safely.

Best of luck!

Karen M.
on 9/3/15 9:09 am - Mississauga, Canada

OMG, I love that... "geriatric surgery = removal of old parts"! LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 9/3/15 9:23 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I WANT THAT!!  NOW!!

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Most Active
Recent Topics