What are you eating/doing today? (Sunday)

Zizzler
on 9/27/15 4:38 am, edited 9/27/15 4:40 am

Good morning everyone.  Had an awesome 1 hour full body massage yesterday, my body feels so much more relaxed now.  Also went to the health food store and bought a few goodies, including Oloves, an individual serving of flavoured olives.  They were good but expensive, a nice little treat.  Also bought a bar of Giddy Yoyo, a cocoa raw food bar, tastes like a chocolate bar but is only 5 net carbs per half bar, 177 calories.  I got the xtra dark one. Really nice tasting but I can see getting quite addicted to these so will keep it for an occasional treat.  I just noticed that on the website the carb count is 10 net carbs, but on the package I bought it says 5 net carbs for the same amount, very strange. Today I intend to do my grocery shopping, clean my kitchen, clip back my ivy, and take my dogs on a nice long walk.  Do you think eating coffee beans is ok post op?  I eat a bar that contains coffee beans and of course I love it but was wondering if eating the bean is the same as drinking real coffee?

b - strawberry gnc lean shake

s - probably a coffee bean simply bar (I got a bunch yesterday they were on sale at Kardish)

l - beef black soybean chilli

s - 1/2 cup dill pickle sunflower seeds in shell

d - beef black soybean chilli

s -  1/2 cup seasoned sunflower seeds in shell

all water and vits, have a good one everybody!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/15 5:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

What is your take on caffeine?  Are you going to avoid it for life?  If so then you need to cut out anything with chocolate as well likely including protein shakes and bars since there is caffeine in chocolate as well.  I personally don't buy into the caffeine thing and have been drinking fully leaded caffeine from day 1 and am almost 10 years post op.  In the early weeks when people are struggling for liquids then if they want to avoid it and stick to water, etc that's fine but once you can consume whatever amount of liquid you want, I don't see the point of avoiding caffeine. 

Zizzler
on 9/27/15 9:17 am

Hi there, I have been drinking decaf coffee since surgery but have been eating cocoa stuff the entire time, was never advised not to eat chocolate powder.  I never asked about coffee beans themselves but I imagine it is the same thing?  Or is it ok because they are being taken as a food?  Anyhow, for now I intend to drink decaf, I am used to it and coffee has a huge effect on me.  The yoyo bar yesterday just about rocketed me into outer space I got so hyper, I a very sensitive to both cocoa and coffee.  I know lots of people who drink caffeinated coffee too, and are fine, and my centre actually said the occasional real coffee is not a problem but to avoid drinking it regularly.  Thanks for your comments, its true that I have been drinking chocolate protein shakes since day 1 after surgery, never thought about that....makes me think...

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/15 1:02 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

They may allow a certain amount of caffeine as even decaf has some caffeine in it.  I would think they want no caffeine mostly in the early days as it's so easy to be dehydrated so why drink it if you are already having trouble getting liquids in.  I know some people claim caffeine causes ulcers but there's no proof of that.  Caffeine can aggravate an existing ulcer just as spicey food can but cause them, don't think so.  I would ask them and see.  I drink tons of coffee in a day and have never had an ulcer in my life. Obviously chocolate in small quantities won't have the same amount of caffeine but I am a very black and white thinker so no caffeine means none at all.

crqvingchange
on 9/27/15 6:20 am

Good morning everyone.  Zizzler i'm not sure about eating the Simply Bar.  I do try to avoid caffeine as I was told by my Centre (Guelph) that caffeine was an irritant to the stoma and can be a contributor to ulcers.  Some of the protein mixes that I buy have a little caffeine in them, but when I order coffee I always order decaf.  Truthfully I don't miss the caffeine, my Starbucks decaf Americano iced coffee tastes the same. Zizzler it sounds like you scored some yummy things, and also your massage sounds wonderful.

Today it's Zumba toning this morning and then going to meet a friend later on in the morning, then gardening.

1 year 2 months post op

B. Click decaf mocha protein latte (it's hard to find a decaf protein coffee mix, sometimes I just use unflavoured whey but doesn't work with hot latte)

S. Simply protein bar after Zumba and on the drive to meet my friend

L. Cajun shrimp and leftover cheesy grits

S. Large skinny latte

D. Beef shortribs with a little gravy

S. Smoked salmon and cream cheese

Have a great day everyone.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Zizzler
on 9/27/15 9:21 am

Beef shortribs sounds yummy.  I am going to ask my centre what they think about the coffee bean in the bars, if it is ok or not.  For now I will pace myself, I know I want them because of the caffeine, I am such an addict its crazy.  I always order decaf but have had real coffee a few times and got super hyper from it, which did not feel too good.  I still drink and eat unsweetened chocolate regularly, do you?  Did your centre ever tell you not to?

crqvingchange
on 9/27/15 11:53 am

Haven't really asked my Centre about chocolate.  They did say it was all right to have a treat every once in a while. But I find that the nutritionists at Guelph don't always agree on what is acceptable.  I think I just take the advice of the one that says what I want to hear, lol.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Zizzler
on 9/28/15 7:10 pm

I have had the same experience, inconsistent advice from nutritionist and even PNR. Its too bad, they should make sure they are on the same page.  Have never been told to avoid cocoa though, ever.  Candy bars yes of course but cocoa no.  But maybe I missed that in the nut classes?

Patm
on 9/27/15 6:53 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good morning everyone. Lazy morning. Off to another birthday party today. Last night I had 1/2 a homemade cupcake and a spoon of ice cream and had a reaction later. I was driving so had to pull over and let DH drive. Took a bit for the shakes to stop. I guess I better not try the cake today.

We are having dinner about 3:30pm. Kind of screws up meals. Not sure what I will have as a night snack. We are having chinese food for dinner. I have put in two items but they do not show many calories just a lot of sodium

b greek yogurt, fiber1, peach

l salad with boiled egg

d beef and broccoli, chicken and cashew

s no idea. Will depend on how dinner goes

Zizzler
on 9/27/15 9:23 am

Sounds like a fun day.  I have not tried Chinese food post op, thanks for the ideas as to better choices if I do.  Sorry to hear about your reaction, is it to the sugar or something else?  I get that if I eat too much sugar, not shaking but sleepy and horrible nausea.  It sucks!

Most Active
Recent Topics