Tests prior to surgery

MyLifeRNYWay
on 10/6/15 7:26 am
RNY on 12/04/15

I need to undergo a gastroscopy due to my heartburn and the fact that I'm on medication for it. For those of you who had it done prior to surgery, has it affected the outcome at all? What were they looking for? I know one of the reasons may be that they are looking for inflammation of the esophagus, but I believe that can be treated with antibiotics. I just wonder about it as I'm very excited to have the surgery scheduled and this is just a little unexpected. I've had bad heartburn ever since having my second son almost 3 years ago, it started during pregnancy and kind of never ended. It's easily managed with the medication though.

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

HKT53
on 10/6/15 8:44 am - Toronto, Canada

Its a really good idea to have the scope. This scope gives the surgeon a camera view of just what your reflux or heartburn has done to the lining of your stomach. Meds keep you from suffering but this way they can see if you have any damage...looking for H-pylori...finding the best piece of stomach to use for your pouch if you are having RNY. Looking at distal valve and where inflamation (if any). My view is, I think everybody should have gastroscopy and ct scan. Good to know your stomach inside and out.

It is a simple procedure and you sleep throughout. I say, no surprises during surgery, is the best surgery.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

MyLifeRNYWay
on 10/14/15 5:44 am
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you so much, I appreciate your reply. My appt is today and I'm hoping for a good outcome :)

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

Most Active
Recent Topics