VSG @TWH: Scheduling issues?

tatirod
on 10/6/15 10:00 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm scheduled for a VSG on November 6 at TWH. I'm a little concerned because the second nurse I met (not the nurse practitioner--but the nurse who was with me at the "meet the surgeon" appointment) said she would call if the appointment needed to change. Why would it need to change? Because there is 1 surgeon there who does not do VSG. If he is on that day, I'm out.

So, no call... pre-admin appointment is next week. Does this mean I'm good? Who knows.

I've tried calling several times. I only get voice mail. I feel like a total stalker. She doesn't understand my question. I don't know how else I can ask it. I've said "I'm scheduled for a VSG Nov 6. You said one surgeon doesn't do this procedure and would confirm if that date is good. Can you please let me know if one of the other three surgeons is scheduled for Nov 6?" And to that I get "Your surgery is scheduled for November 6. I'm not sure what else you want to know."

It's like an evil, vicious cycle. It reminds me of the old skit "Who is on first".

Does anyone have an email address for the "surgeon nurse liason" person? Maybe it would make sense in writing.

I plan to go up and ask after my pre-admin appointment... but I'm totally freaking out and worried that I will get pushed back 2 more months. I mean, I don't want to do 3 weeks of Optifast and show up for surgery to find out "SURPRISE! The ONE doctor that doesn't do your surgery is working today!!! You have won a trip back home."

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

KerryF.
on 10/7/15 2:20 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

you should email Sandra Robinson [email protected]

she is the Program Manager/Nurse Practitioner

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

tatirod
on 10/7/15 8:40 am - Toronto, Canada

Thank you!

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

McCall
on 10/7/15 5:09 am

They said the same thing to me and I was having GBP. I think they have to just in case something happens and your surgery needs to be cancelled such as an emergency with another patient or something. I would go on as if your surgery is on that date unless they tell you otherwise.

HKT53
on 10/7/15 9:11 am - Toronto, Canada

What you are panicking about is EXACTLY why I think this system of WLS being dealt out "according to postal code" is all wrong. But lets not get into that topic. Lets just look at this and break it down. First of all, I think you are assuming there is only one operating room for WLS at TWH for one surgeon on duty for the whole day. Not true. So now if you look at this in that light and "your surgery is scheduled for Nov 6"...I think it is safe to assume and having heard nothing to the contrary that the surgeon who does do VSGs is scheduled for your surgery on Nov 6 in one of the operating rooms. So maybe you can see why you are not getting the exact answer you want to hear. Now given that your PATT testing is for Tuesday morning and nobody changed it....also indicates you are right on schedule. I did get a call 3 days before my PATT to pu**** one week later (and being only one week prior to surgery) but that was because an emergency took my appointment slot and there was no anesthesiologist to interview me. I know, you are going to say well I was at HRRH and not TWH but there are consistant protocols that are the same in any Ontario hospital and WLS because that is the way OHIP wants it. Like I said, dont get me started on OHIP.

So when you email to this very valuable contact Robinson tell her that you want to know exactly who is scheduled for your surgery and if he is known for VSG. By the way Thanks to the person that gave you that contact. Amazing how great this forum really is to all of us. Now if you do not get an answer by Tuesday morning for your PATT testing. You ask each medical person you see. Ask the nurse taking your history and verifying notes....ask the anesthesiologist. Tell them you feel you have a right to know who is working on you. Then google his name and find out his background. In some cases you will find an email address for this surgeon. Email. It takes a few days but he will contact you and tell you to call his office with your concerns.

This is your body and you have a right to stand up for NO SURPRISES. You are not causing a delay in your surgery, you are simply going into surgery with peace of mind and no one can fault you.

Everything will make sense by Tuesday morning. Ask questions find out the name of the surgeon and research him.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

tatirod
on 10/7/15 8:15 pm, edited 10/7/15 1:15 pm - Toronto, Canada

You make some pretty good points here. I feel silly now for not thinking of them myself. So... you mean to tell me that the hospital does not revolve around me and there will be other people operated on? How incredibly rude!

I will follow your advice though. It's all very good (and practical). I even thought about going to the bariatric ward to check in with the front desk to see if they know who is on that day yet. I don't know when the schedule comes out for sure.

Interestingly enough, in my support group today there was some talk about panicking right before surgery. Now I don't feel so crazed and actually quite normal. If I didn't have any worries, then I should probably be worried.

Most Active
Recent Topics