Second Thoughts

tlj1974
on 10/11/15 7:20 pm

My surgery is scheduled for November 16 and I am currently having second thoughts if I am making the right decision. Yes I need to loose weight, yes I have tried many different ways and nothing. I am afraid I will have regrets, afraid I can't do it and afraid I will fail.

I was watching TV this weekend and there was an infomercial on for 21 Day Fix. It made sense to me fuelling my body with certain foods in correct portions and exercise. So I am asking myself this fix is much like having the surgery except portions will be much smaller.

Help please.

TaraB3660
on 10/11/15 8:30 pm

Second thoughts are normal. I would try the 21 day fix. You have time between now and surgery. And if you are certain you don't want to go through with the surgery cancel it. Or ask for a later surgery date. Eaither way good luck ?

Herecomeshealth
on 10/12/15 4:59 am

Second thoughts make sense. I would suggest making a pro's and cons list. I can tell you I had my worries leading up to my surgery in Feb. sitting on this side my only regret is I did not do it sooner. I still have moments of worry. What if I gain back the weight, what if I have some complication. I have kind of figured out that what ifs don't hep me with anything. I have to go with what I know. I know I was going to only feel worse if I did not lose weight. I know I had never been very successful losing weight on my own. I also knew the risks of surgery. When I did my pro's and cons with what I knew, surgery was the way to go.

It is a big step so I do think you need to be fairly sure this is what you want for yourself. As for the 21 day fix... If it is on an infomercial I am pretty sure it is a fad. Ask your Dr. Cause I doubt it is something Dr.s are pushing.

good luck with you decision.

Patm
on 10/12/15 6:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you have tried other diets and they have failed chances are a fad diet like the 21 days fix will be just another disappointment. It is normal to have second thoughts.

With this surgery you will lose weigh.t How much will be up to you. The biggest challenge will be changing your habits but you will have the first year to work on that

Good luck with your choice. For me it was a life saver

Karen M.
on 10/13/15 4:05 am - Mississauga, Canada

Your second thoughts are not only completely normal, they're also sensible and responsible. Weight loss surgery, and the commitment to the post-op lifestyle, is a huge decision that deserves a great deal of thought, consideration, and soul searching.

For me, it came down to a few key questions:

• Am I more afraid of surgery/commitment or suffering the debilitating effects of morbid obesity (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart disease, fatty liver disease... the list goes on, up to and including death)?
  • Have I tried everything else reasonably possible to lose the weight?
  • Have I ever had any weight loss success with traditional diets? If I ever did lost a few pounds, was I able to keep them off?
  • Is this diet/program/whatever sustainable over time?

Just because you have a surgery date doesn't mean you have to have the surgery. Heck, you can change your mind right up until they knock you out on the table - it's your choice. And it's likely the biggest decision you'll make in your life.

Should you give the 21 day fix a go? Hell yes - why not? When I chose to have weight loss surgery it was truly a "last resort" choice - my body and my metabolism were completely shot after years and years of yoyo dieting and resulting morbid obesity. But not only "last" resort, more importantly it was "best resort". Weight loss surgery gave my body and metabolism a reset shock - I got a "do over".

Take your time with this decision.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

B-Trix123
on 10/13/15 9:07 am - Toronto, Canada

Four days ago, someone else posted a similar concern post op. I think a lot of the advice is applicable in your case so you may want to check it out here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/5370643/2nd-thoughts/

I sure wish a "21 Day Fix" could have worked for me, but the stats say (wish I could find the link for you) that most diets have a 5% long term (5+ years) success rate, gastric bypass has a 70% success rate.

I tried to find the author of the "21 Day Fix" Autumn Calabrese's credentials and all I see is celebrity trainer, bikini competitor. Weigh this against the highly educated professionals at the Ontario Bariatric Network http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca Who should you trust? Follow the money. Many diets are profit driven - it's a huge business that preys upon those of us who are desperate.

"21 Day Fix" just seems like another yo in the yo-yos of diets and likely a waste of your money in the long term.

If you are emotionally not ready for surgery, there is a medical (non surgical) programme (http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/our-programs/medical-p rogram) offered by the Ontario Bariatric Network and I would strongly recommend you consult with them vs any diet you see advertised on TV. I did Bernstein a very long time ago and the results were nothing short of disastrous.

Before (if) you drop out, why not call the psychologist on your team and let them know your concerns? This forum is great for help, but you may be best served by a little professional support. Delaying when you are this close -- I hope you don't and hope you will find the courage / peace if mind to stay the course.

Wishing you the best of health whatever course you take.

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/13/15 2:53 pm - Windsor, Canada

If you've done a diet, you've done the 21 day fix. This is just another diet. Portion control and following the plan. You've done this many times before. If you are morbidly obese, the odds are stacked against you that with conventional means you will lose the weight and keep it off long term.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/296970.php

I was obese since I was a teenager. Morbidly so as an adult. I had my surgery in 2006 and am happy, healthy and life is good. If you ever want to talk just message me ;) WLS is the only thing that has allowed me to keep off 140 lbs for life :)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

tatirod
on 10/13/15 9:51 pm - Toronto, Canada

This is a major surgery. It's life changing. But, isn't changing your life what you want? Sure, there are some morbidly obese people who can lose weight on their own. It's not a large percentage of people though. I mean, if it was simply a matter of eating more healthy or eating smaller portions then there would be no obese people. There is so much more to the reasons behind reaching this level.

I'm scheduled for surgery on Nov 6. I have had second thoughts on more than one occasion. I had my pre-admission appointment today and literally felt like calling it quits. I have a feeling I'm going to have some reservations until the propafol enters my hand. And, there could be some reservations afterwards. I just try to keep my eye on the prize.

One thing that bothered me when I first got into this program was the prerequisite to have failed weight loss. It made me wonder if I would fail with this. The clinical data says, No. I'm putting my trust in that and going to lose the weight so I'm not in a wheelchair at age 40. I don't want my husband to watch me slowly die because I can't stop eating ice cream and candy bars.

List the reasons for surgery and the reasons not to have surgery. See which one wins.

I made this decision because for me it is the right choice. Only you know if you really need this. If you do, go for it. I made this decision because for me it is the right choice. Only you know if you really need this. If you do, go for it.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Most Active
Recent Topics